Are any of you ISSA members?

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
im not exactly sure which security discipline i want to make my own, but at some point certianly the CISSP. is the ISSA something i should become a member of now? or would i be in over my head?
i have the Sec+, and i was trying to decide between CEH/CHFI/SSCP as my next endeavor.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It never hurts to get involved with an organization like that. Attend a meeting or two and see what you think. My membership lapsed due to time constraints, but I do attend an ISACA meeting every once-in-awhile, and I will likely join OWASP soon.
  • tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    i think its only $80 or somthing... not sure. i'm hoping it will expose me to areas of security i dont even know exist, making my career path a bit clearer.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tdean wrote: »
    areas of security i dont even know exist, making my career path a bit clearer.

That will probably happen, but it will just make settling on a direction more difficult. ;)

I still encourage you to check it out. I'm pretty sure you can attend a meeting or two as a guest before you have to commit financially. Check them out and see what you think.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm the president of our local chapter. We allow people to visit a few meeting before committing.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Thanks for posting about this. Helped me seek out the chapter in the Chicago area to take a look. Very helpful.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I'm a member of both ISSA and OWASP in Southern California. They are very different groups with very different people. ISSA is more professional, business, vendor-oriented, and an older group of people. OWASP (at least my chapter) is more technical, younger, and in-the-trenches types. OWASP is also more focused on software (Web & network) security, while ISSA is all over the map security-wise.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My ISSA group is always a good group to be involved with, even if it's only for the free meals icon_cheers.gif

Seriously though, we usually have excellent speakers each month, and a couple of months ago we had a free class on BackTrack.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think I am going to join my local group.