Options

CCIE RS Written Aug. 18! signed up

2»

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    accely wrote: »
    I've rented a few racks over the past weekends. Probably up to around 30+ hours now but I stopped keeping track because I'm studying everything on a daily basis. I guess that's a good thing! I feel like studying for this monster has become a hobby and a habit! haha

Basically right now I am printing off the labs and then working through them as I compare my work with the solutions guides. This is helping me learn and retain commands and lots of different solutions. I'm even still seeing some odd ball tasks that I've never seen! So it's nice to see those, learn them (example. a 1 line command) and have it memorized forever. These INE vol. 2 labs are really great practice. I make alot of notes and go back and review them too, a couple days after I finished it.

I'm also listening to the INE audio bootcamp whenever I do cardio which is a couple hours a week. It's a nice time to pick a topic I want some review in, usually MPLS or multicast :)

Alllllso, I watch and rewatch the advanced technologies videos from INE.

After I finish vol2. lab 5 probably tonight. I'm going to start going through their volume 1 material, which basically just hits each topic in depth.

I think I'm doing a pretty good job of spreading out how I'm preparing so far. Still getting lots of hands on at work so that always helps.
    As I progress through the vol2 and vol1 material I'll start renting rack time again to work on vol2 labs without using solutions, and then start testing out the waters with Volume4 labs.

Gotta keep moving!!

It's been a month now, are your studies still pushing along? You're looking at a year of it at least.
  • Options
    bump. Any updates?
  • Options
    accelyaccely Member Posts: 101
    still going strong!
    Been going through practice lab workbooks and I also just finished the INE troubleshooting series. Troubleshooting is definitely a strong point for me, probably because I get so much of it at work. Once I get within a few months of my test date I will start hitting labs and review really hard. I will plan for about 3 hours each weekday and then 8-10 on each weekend day once I'm 2 months out. I haven't scheduled yet but I'm thinking months 4-6 of 2011 I will take it and get my numbers. :D
    Progress: CCIE RS Lab scheduled for Jan. 2012
    Equipment: Cisco 360 program racks

• Options
    Was just reviewing some thoughts in my head and I thought I would share for anyone pursuing the CCIE or anything else really... Some of these have been said to me before but they are great!

- Remember to always stay positive! You can't think about the negative stuff people talk about... for CCIE (its too hard, you can't pass, takes too long, etc) Always stay positive!

- Keep a strong physical/mental well being. You have to train your mind to be tough and persistant.. the lab is long and a grind but if you train right, it will be cake, yes cake! Also, don't let your physical self lack while you are nerding it up in the labs :) keep a healthy diet and exercise sometimes if possible! I body build as a side hobby and I go about 5 days a week after work.

- Keep yourself surrounded by positive people in your life. Work, school, anywhere you go! Keep people around that know you can do anything, not the people that think you are wasting your time.

- Don't forget to have some fun along the way, just because you are training doesnt mean you should shut off friends or social events. Keep up with these as it will only make you crave the CCIE more!

- And lastly, you must get that motivation, the drive, the HUNGER!!! to get the CCIE. You must make it a priority just like everything else in your life. I choose to desire the CCIE, not just pursue it as a side hobby that "would be cool if I got it someday", no, I WANT it!!

Stay strong everyone... stay on this hard, winding road that few dare... get those digits!!

Take care!

Dan

P.S THIS IS SPARTA!!!

• Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Good advice, every day that passes is one day closer to becoming a CCIE. Did you have any special strategy for the labs, in what order did you do them?
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Hi everyone, long time no post. Figured I'd stop by and give an update since i haven't posted since late 2010.

To sum things up: I was working as a network engineer for Dell. I've since been hired by Cisco :):):)!! and I've been lucky enough to use their Cisco 360 program. I am taking my lab in September. Over the next 83 days I have over 200 lab hours scheduled. I've been doing the Cisco 360 labs and assessments labs for a few weeks now. Basically I'm doing 3-4 labs during the week (only core topics). Full labs on Friday-Sunday. Starting in mid/late July I will be finished with the core topic labs and also have finished the last half of those labs (10 in total) After this I have 25 full 8 hour labs remaining that I've already scheduled. the final week before my lab I will finish up with one 8 hour lab per day for 8 days straight, then fly to RTP to take the lab.

Keep at it everyone! Hard work really does pay off! I've landed what I feel is my dream job and dream company and I can't wait to get my 5 numbers in September :)

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Thanks for the update. Your story is inspiring.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    accely wrote: »
    Hi everyone, long time no post. Figured I'd stop by and give an update since i haven't posted since late 2010.

To sum things up: I was working as a network engineer for Dell. I've since been hired by Cisco :):):)!! and I've been lucky enough to use their Cisco 360 program. I am taking my lab in September. Over the next 83 days I have over 200 lab hours scheduled. I've been doing the Cisco 360 labs and assessments labs for a few weeks now. Basically I'm doing 3-4 labs during the week (only core topics). Full labs on Friday-Sunday. Starting in mid/late July I will be finished with the core topic labs and also have finished the last half of those labs (10 in total) After this I have 25 full 8 hour labs remaining that I've already scheduled. the final week before my lab I will finish up with one 8 hour lab per day for 8 days straight, then fly to RTP to take the lab.

Keep at it everyone! Hard work really does pay off! I've landed what I feel is my dream job and dream company and I can't wait to get my 5 numbers in September :)

Congratulations on the job. Cisco are usually supportive of employees that want to undertake the CCIE. Are they allowing you to prepare for the exam on works time or will you just be killing yourself each night after a long day at work?