Options

My Lab

troyt93955troyt93955 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I am going to try and buil my own lab. I have 4 1800 Series Routers and 3 2800 Series Routers.

What and how many switches do i need? and will the routers above be okay to use?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    troyt93955 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am going to try and buil my own lab. I have 4 1800 Series Routers and 3 2800 Series Routers.

What and how many switches do i need? and will the routers above be okay to use?

Thanks

Are the routers okay?!?!?! Holy smokes... I envy your router equipment!! icon_smile.gif Yes, the routers are perfect. You'll need to add at least 3 switches. The consensus is two layer-2 switches (2950) and one layer-3 switch (3550). If you can afford it (or borrow it), 3560s & 3750s are the most preferred because of the Private VLAN & a few other features that the 3550s do not support.

Also, don't forget to get your WICs and cables. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Yes they work fine, do I really need all those routers? or can i get by with less (which ones should I keep?), and try to find some one that will trade for some switches.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    troyt93955 wrote: »
    Yes they work fine, do I really need all those routers? or can i get by with less (which ones should I keep?), and try to find some one that will trade for some switches.

You're going to get mixed views on this question. Some will argue that you can cutback on your routers and use GNS3, while others will say that there is nothing like hand's on physical equipment. I typically leave it up to the individual.

Typically, the amount of routers and type of routers you have are good enough for a CCIE lab (I think). So if your goal is to go for the CCIE and you'd rather have the physical equipment, then hang on to your routers. Start your CCNP with the ROUTE test and patiently wait for a deal or two on ebay. I was able to get 2 3550s for ~$375 with shipping, insurance, and no problems! HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you get 3550's, try to get PoE models. They don't usually cost any more than the regular models and they'll save you a few power outlets if you hook up access points or phones.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help,
    These switchs be okay for my lab?
    Cisco WS-C3512-XL-EN 12 Port Switch