Options

Help On Job To Find

gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey, everyone recently I've been looking for jobs through careerbuilder.com,dice.com, and hotjobs.com. if you guys have anymore suggestions on where to look it will be helpful.

Okay now to start with my problem. Well the problem is not really getting the job interview but is not getting the right now. I currently hold CCNA, CompTIA Network+, working on A+ and maybe Security+. When i go to the job interviews i do well with questions i answer them as i was trained to trouble shoot in the reading materials. My problem is i have no IT experience so im looking for a job to gain it. I apply for IT help desk, or Tech Support. But they tell me my skills are more along the side of networking. I know most of my skills are networking side but i dont know what to do or what to apply for anymore.
Should i look for Network Support Tech? or what can i apply for as a entry-level to gain that experience.

Please help i need some advice.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey, everyone recently I've been looking for jobs through careerbuilder.com,dice.com, and hotjobs.com. if you guys have anymore suggestions on where to look it will be helpful.

Okay now to start with my problem. Well the problem is not really getting the job interview but is not getting the right now. I currently hold CCNA, CompTIA Network+, working on A+ and maybe Security+. When i go to the job interviews i do well with questions i answer them as i was trained to trouble shoot in the reading materials. My problem is i have no IT experience so im looking for a job to gain it. I apply for IT help desk, or Tech Support. But they tell me my skills are more along the side of networking. I know most of my skills are networking side but i dont know what to do or what to apply for anymore.
    Should i look for Network Support Tech? or what can i apply for as a entry-level to gain that experience.

Please help i need some advice.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/633-job-boards.html - This thread has some more job boards but you are looking in the right places.

As far as people telling you that your skills are on the Networking side, you could develop another resume that caters to a desktop support or help desk type role. Once you get your A+ you can play that up a lot on your resume to land an entry level job. When applying for Networking jobs play up your networking skills though.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    True most helpdesk and desktop support jobs I've seen require the A+. The interviewer or HR sees the CCNA and knows you'll bolt to the network side ASAP.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    aethereosaethereos Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I lived in Los Angeles for 15 years and I know you can get a entry position with Fry's, Best Buy, Office Depot (in their tech repair department), etc..., so you might want to try that. Downplay or upsell the areas of your expertise according to the job requirements. It looks like you're sending a generic resume to these guys, that's why they say you're "overqualified", because you really are, if the position doesn't require/want you to have a more advanced cert.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Getting the A+ should help and you could look into getting the MCDST while you still can or pass one of the Windows 7 exams. That should show that you have a more well rounded skill set appropriate for a help desk role and also that you are not just interested in getting just enough experience to get into a role where you can play with some cisco equipment.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    you can volunteer to gain work experience
  • Options
    gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, guess so i'll be taking the A+ soon enough and just apply and make a new resume and apply for help desk like that and if i see a network support opening I'll try and apply for that as well with my network resume.