Options

Yet another lab setup question

neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
I noticed on cablesandkits.com they only mention the ios version shipped with various switch models. I'm interested in two cisco 2600 series routers. Is it standard practice to sell the hardware without an IOS license?

I already have two 2514 routers and a 1900 switch.

Cisco 2600XM Multiservice Platform Router, Model 2620XM

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    neocybe wrote: »
    I noticed on cablesandkits.com they only mention the ios version shipped with various switch models.
    I don't see any IOS versions on any of the switches I looked at but I didn't look at them all.

Generally IOS firmware for switches is free to download from Cisco with a guest level account without a service contract attached to it. Some of the newer more powerful switches have licensed versions of the software or require a key to be entered to unlock the extra functionality however so they may not have free downloads available.

However, in nearly all cases the IOS firmware downloads for routers requires you to have a Cisco service contract associated with your account to allow you to download.
    Is it standard practice to sell the hardware without an IOS license?
    Normally you'll get some version of IOS on there. You're not actually supposed to have anything though as the IOS license is non transferrable and you're supposed to relicense it if you purchase second hand equipment.
    a 1900 switch
    Boat anchor. The 1900 switches don't run IOS at all. The "enterprise" edition of the firmware gave you an IOSlike CLI but it isn't IOS and therefore useless for certification purposes. Cisco have reused the 1900 number as a series of routers now so don't get confused between the two.

Keep away completely from the 1900 switches. The 2900XL and 3500XL switches aren't great either but they'll still be of some use. Don't get fooled by the 3500XL number and assume that its a L3 switch as its only a L2 switch.

If you want to buy a switch for your lab then get a 2950 or two at minimum.
  • Options
    neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your response.

I figured the 1900 switch was a glorified door stop.

I got the 2514's and the 1900 free.

Would the 2514's and a couple 2950 switchs be a good starting point?
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Thanks for your response.

I figured the 1900 switch was a glorified door stop.

I got the 2514's and the 1900 free.

Would the 2514's and a couple 2950 switchs be a good starting point?

I agree about the 1900 switch, completely useless. I think Chris Bryant uses 2500 series routers in his video series, seems to work ok.