Cause this won't start a war...

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No offense dude, but that article is trash. 1/2 and 3/4 are basically just repeating the same points. If you can't come up with five unique points, you really shouldn't try to write an article about something. The first two completely disregard Vista/7's changes. If a person's dumb, they're going to click OK whether it's Windows or Linux. She implies Linux doesn't require regular patching. She trashes security through obscurity and then proclaims Linux users are secure simply because no one's targeting them because of their small numbers or because they run on different architectures. Wow! And where does the last jab at Apple come from? Maybe next time she'll do some research first. Good thing she's only written one Linux article per day the last few days...
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    No offense dude, but that article is trash. 1/2 and 3/4 are basically just repeating the same points.

None taken icon_wink.gif I completely agree with you. There are many articles like this (particularly on network world), that talk trash about products when the reviewer doesn't jack about what they are talking about.
    So you know what my next question is going to be right? How is she still employed...

Next I'd expect her to announce that the Droid X is going to be the next iPhone killer because the screen is bigger! icon_rolleyes.gif
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How is a poorly written article going to start a war?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Next I'd expect her to announce that the Droid X is going to be the next iPhone killer because the screen is bigger! icon_rolleyes.gif

Did you read the Android article? It was about on par with that icon_lol.gif
    earweed wrote: »
    How is a poorly written article going to start a war?

It was more of the Linux is better than Windows that was going to start the war. Not the quality of her writing...
    I think that subject has been argued to death. I was expecting a really well written and well thought out argument in the article. Most people who read it probably didn't feel it worth a comment.
    I feel that the windows/Linux arguments will live on forever or at least as long as both of them are in existence. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and that will always somehow start a flame war. I'm a diehard Windows person but I'm learning Linux to be more employable as it is used a lot and even alongside Windows environments.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I started as a UNIX Programmer so I should be in the "Linux Camp" -- but I'll have to say Linux must be "mainstream" now since it seems to be attracting more clueless idiot fan boys/girls.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It is all about the clicks guys. Flame wars generate more views than well written articles on hot topics.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It blows my mind that people can still think something is more secure because it is less popular. That's like saying the windows in my house are harder to break because less thieves live in my neighborhood.
    :study:
    As Linux becomes more popular (which I believe it will) it will become more vulnerable to attack. It'll happen. The only people who will have a secure Linux machine will be IT people who have the knowledge to secure their machines.
    As Linux becomes more popular (which I believe it will) it will become more vulnerable to attack. It'll happen. The only people who will have a secure Linux machine will be IT people who have the knowledge to secure their machines.

Agreed. Plus even they sometimes make mistakes. I am a firm believer in the statement that "Nothing is ever 100% secure".
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

Linux has been around for about as long as I've owned and worked on PCs (as opposed to Unix...that's definitely older than me... :D). If Linux had half the popularity in the business world, many of us would be working on Linux boxes instead of worrying about the "evil" Microsoft empire and becoming certified with it. I will never say a bad thing about MS, because it's the reason I have ever been employed full time. When I think of Linux, I still think of going to some forum to get support. Many flavors of Linux have improved on that, but really, MS will keep Linux in the minority. Plus the licensing structure is similar to MS if you want that support, not to mention that there are great deal of enterprise level applications that can't run on Linux, so from a business end, it doesn't make sense to trash our serves and go on Linux.

Linux can be the best O/S on the planet. But if my applications can't run on it, then the source code will just be used as toilet paper.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Somewhere along the line - about 3 years ago - Everyone at PC world magically became Pro Apple.

I don't know if there was a mass firing/hiring or if the people there just lost their minds. Ever since then they have published nothing but pure tripe.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    It blows my mind that people can still think something is more secure because it is less popular. That's like saying the windows in my house are harder to break because less thieves live in my neighborhood.

[cliff]your windows are clearly conductive to forced entry icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif[/cliff]
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I worked at CompUSA in '98 and I remember selling RedHat to a few customers. Those were the days...