Monitor spraying

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi Guys an Gals, :)

In middle of decorating my boys room with all kinds of kit goin in it and all of it apart from the monitors are black, i have 3 HP 17" monitors on the wall all with silver round the edge

Has anyone ever managed to spray something like this black?

Any help would be great

There is a total of 4 PC's in the room, one connected to a 32" TV, under this TV is 3 monitors on the wall, PC's are enclosed on the right hand side in a wardrobe which I have also built for this purpose, gonna look cool but a lot of work

Lee H

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not monitors but other things plastic and/or metal. Just pick the right paint and protect the screen, buttons, led, etc. It should be fine. I forget what kind of paint I used but go to your local hardware store and they should be able to help you.
    Cheers,
    Earweed
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd be concerned about paint getting in the ventilation gaps in the back. Can't you just take the frames off? Be sure not to electrocute yourself.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'd be concerned about paint getting in the ventilation gaps in the back. Can't you just take the frames off? Be sure not to electrocute yourself.

and make sure it's not going to burn if it gets too hot.
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    I have already taken the front panel off one of them, its only this that is silver, my first attempt spraying out of a can was a bizmal, so too was painting with black gloss, lol

I was hoping someone else had tried and tested several ways and found one that looked good

What I dont want is it to look like a DIY job cos my TV is piano black and worried the monitors will stand out too much if the job is perfect, ya get me

I would gladly pay a company who specify this type of thing, either that or go buy 3 new monitors in black which I don't want to do
  • neuropolneuropol Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Before painting you have to thoroughly clean them. There is likely release agent residue still on them from the molding process. A good kitchen degreaser would work fine.

Then you'll want to lightly sand all the surfaces you want to paint. Go with a high grit sandpaper, say 800 or even higher. It won't look like you're doing much, but it will create a good surface for the paint to adhere.

Then paint. There are spray paints specially formulated for plastic which generally work well. Krylon has come out with Fusion, which supposed to be an all surface paint, but I'd stick with specific plastic paints. Automotive paint is overkill, but it would give you the best finish. So long as you have a good compressor and spray gun.

I've had good luck painting several items with this method. If your paint is still not going on evenly look up some spray painting tips on youtube. It's much easier to see how to paint than to try to explain it.

Hope that helps.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To add to neuropol's suggestion, you could try spray paints in the plastic model section at Wal-Mart. They did a good job at providing smooth finishes when I did several plastic model car kits.