Opinion...

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Ok so as many of you know, I am working 2 jobs right now. I am probably going to end my moonlight gig at the end of this month or the beginning of next month. Well I got a call from a place yesterday about doing some cisco work for them. Being a part time network engineer. Now I don't know if I am going to take it, or if they want to make me an offer yet but this had me thinking about my next few certs. I am almost done with S+ and I have to do LPIC for school but I am trying to decide if I should do CCNP. I would like to get into more security and Linux but the way I see it, CCNP would increase my earning potential more than LPIC-2 or C|EH. RHCE would increase my earning potential but I don't support any RH servers so it might not be the best to do right now. Then there is this elearnSecurity sexiness. I mean eventually I'd like to do all of them and I have a formula for deciding worth of certs but these types of things throw monkey wrenches into my plans lol.

What do you all think?

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First off if you can afford it (or when) you need to quit the 2 job thing. It's gonna start affecting your personal life and you may burn out. You're young and think you're invincible but it will eventually get to you.
    As far as the certs go, once you are down to working one job the decisions will be easier. Keep with your formula of doing the ones required for school and the ones with the best potential ROI in the future.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the progress as always :). I would say go Sec+, CCNP, then jump to CCSP when they change the material (I hear its relevant but a bit dated). You could also just go CCSP directly as the CCNA:S is the primer for it. I see tons of ads around here for CCNP cert holder (CCSP, VP, NP, IP etc.) and the starting salaries are close to $75000 a yr; they also are usually just looking for one CCNP cert on that level. I guess only certify in things that will either have return on investment or will make you Network engineer x (1,2,3 etc).

As you know I'm starting out as well so this is just my 2 cents lol.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    First off if you can afford it (or when) you need to quit the 2 job thing. It's gonna start affecting your personal life and you may burn out. You're young and think you're invincible but it will eventually get to you.

My wife calls me superman in the sack* But I hear you. Honestly I am burned out already. But this job would be on occasion, not 24 hours a weekend so that would help. I don't have many friends and don't go out during the weekend so it isn't like I'm missing much. The last time I worked two jobs, I did it for 6 months. I'm on month 3 and I'm burned out already. I'm getting old lol.
    As far as the certs go, once you are down to working one job the decisions will be easier. Keep with your formula of doing the ones required for school and the ones with the best potential ROI in the future.

I support cisco at both my jobs. My main job I do pretty much all of the security related task and my weekend job is kind of like a helpdesk.

*Because I'm faster than a speeding bullet. Lol JK
    Congrats on the progress as always :). I would say go Sec+, CCNP, then jump to CCSP when they change the material (I hear its relevant but a bit dated). You could also just go CCSP directly as the CCNA:S is the primer for it. I see tons of ads around here for CCNP cert holder (CCSP, VP, NP, IP etc.) and the starting salaries are close to $75000 a yr. I guess only certify in things that will either have return on investment or will make you Network engineer x (1,2,3 etc).

As you know I'm starting out as well so this is just my 2 cents lol.

The thing is, I don't support not 1 ASA anywhere. I've only seen one twice and honestly everyone I know who has supported them hates. Plus they are expensive as hell. 2 ASAs would cost more than all of the Sonicwall gear we just purchased combined. CCSP would be cool but I need to find a shop that actually uses them.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Go for the NP. If you want to be a network engineer, it will be the most beneficial to you.
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Go for the NP. If you want to be a network engineer, it will be the most beneficial to you.

I'd like to get in/stay in security, not so much general networking.
    Everyone should get the NP before moving to specializations, IMO. It gives you the base to excel in the other specialties.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

I have to agree. I was working three jobs, and college at the same time. It will burn you out quickly.
    Everyone should get the NP before moving to specializations, IMO. It gives you the base to excel in the other specialties.

I didn't mean Network Security from the Cisco perspective. But I do understand what you are saying. Honestly I will probably end up doing it. There is a local guy here who I can study up with so I think I might go for it.
    I have to agree. I was working three jobs, and college at the same time. It will burn you out quickly.

I'm stopping the second job when I start school next month. I can afford it easily but I want an EVO, a new computer, and some other things. Plus I am just now getting caught back up on the bills thanks to the brief time I was unemployed.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Go CCSP if you want to do security and Cisco. Seems like a perfect match to me.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Go CCSP if you want to do security and Cisco. Seems like a perfect match to me.

See above:
    knwminus wrote: »
    The thing is, I don't support not 1 ASA anywhere. I've only seen one twice and honestly everyone I know who has supported them hates. Plus they are expensive as hell. 2 ASAs would cost more than all of the Sonicwall gear we just purchased combined. CCSP would be cool but I need to find a shop that actually uses them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ok so as many of you know, I am working 2 jobs right now. I am probably going to end my moonlight gig at the end of this month or the beginning of next month. Well I got a call from a place yesterday about doing some cisco work for them. Being a part time network engineer. Now I don't know if I am going to take it, or if they want to make me an offer yet but this had me thinking about my next few certs. I am almost done with S+ and I have to do LPIC for school but I am trying to decide if I should do CCNP. I would like to get into more security and Linux but the way I see it, CCNP would increase my earning potential more than LPIC-2 or C|EH. RHCE would increase my earning potential but I don't support any RH servers so it might not be the best to do right now. Then there is this elearnSecurity sexiness. I mean eventually I'd like to do all of them and I have a formula for deciding worth of certs but these types of things throw monkey wrenches into my plans lol.

What do you all think?

I think the answer was hidden in your post. Go for the CCNP dude, it is going to be killer on a resume NOW and LATER. When you start working with Red Hat stuff go for the RHCE. Simple as that. On the eLearnSecurity, if you can justify the cost then why not go for it? You are in a security related career so it is another way to learn and advance in your career.
    Well they want to talk to me so I guess I better see what they have to say.
    Well I talked with the recruiter again. Said some recruiting type stuff and that we need to talk to the manager next week. Interesting....
    I didn't mean Network Security from the Cisco perspective.

I didn't either. If you want to do any specializations in the networking field, the CCNP is a great thing to get/have.
    I didn't either. If you want to do any specializations in the networking field, the CCNP is a great thing to get/have.

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.
    Spoke to the network engineer and the recruiter today. Here is the skinny:

Title: Part-Time Network Tier III Support (tier I+II are helpdesk)
    Responsibilities: Helping customers with cisco networking issues
    SLA: Best effort
    Hours: 5-15
    Rate: $3X an hour

Basically I would be taking the small amount of over flow that the primary network engineer can't handle. It would be a completely remote support position. I am going to try to squeeze more money out of them and get them to pay for an air card for me. Maybe even pay me a retainer amount of hours (like at least 5 a week). That might be pushing it but you never know right? They have about 500 nodes but most are SOHO routers and a few switches. They did ask if I have used a VPN 3000 (which I have).

Thoughts?
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    is this on top of your other two jobs?
    WIP: IPS exam
    is this on top of your other two jobs?

I am going to leave my part time job at the end of the month. So I will be down to "just" one.
    Sounds good to me. Since it's all remote you save any commute time and can even deal with issues at the second job during downtime at your regular job.
    Would this be you get to problems when you can or are you on call? If you're on call you should definitely insist on the air card. The retainer part may be pushing it but you wont know unless you ask for it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I am going to leave my part time job at the end of the month. So I will be down to "just" one.

if you knock out the weekend gig i would definitely pick it up.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am almost done with S+

Don't lie to the people. We all know you are just going to keep bumping that date back and never take it.

If I had an offer on the table like that, I'd probably take it. I would love to keep working with my certs, but I already have a pretty steady foundation. The only thing holding me back on the resume is experience, so this could strengthen that area. Plus money is good.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    On the one hand, this could be a very good job to get some more CSCO networking experience. On the other hand, I am damn tired of working two jobs and even working one where it is just remote will still make me feel like I'm committing adultery. Plus I need to get school done. IDK we will see.
    Seems like just yesterday you were trying to find a job period. How times have changed..lol
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    On the one hand, this could be a very good job to get some more CSCO networking experience. On the other hand, I am damn tired of working two jobs and even working one where it is just remote will still make me feel like I'm committing adultery. Plus I need to get school done. IDK we will see.

I hear ya. I guess what it comes down to is how long you plan on keeping the two job schedule, when you think you'll enter the fulltime Network Security Engineer III role at your main job, and when or if you feel the bachelor's wall will hit you sooner than later. At $30 an hour, its a hard decision; thats pretty good money.
    Seems like just yesterday you were trying to find a job period. How times have changed..lol

I know crazy right? It just goes to show you that the market is a crazy thing. I kinda did this to myself though. I applied for hundreds of jobs over the last few months and now the harvest is starting to come back in. Some of it is good and some of it is bad. I am tired of telling people I don't want to work on their helpdesk though. I am very thankful to the most high for the turn around.
    I hear ya. I guess what it comes down to is how long you plan on keeping the two job schedule, when you think you'll enter the fulltime Network Security Engineer III role at your main job, and when or if you feel the bachelor's wall will hit you sooner than later. At $30 an hour, its a hard decision; thats pretty good money.

30 bucks an hour is hard for me to just say no to. I like having money and even just working a few hours a week would get me some extra dough for savings (or an XBOX). IDK man this is a tough one.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Yeah, Kevin, congrats it goes to show hard work and never giving up pays off, like earweed said it seemed like yesterday you were looking for a job now you are getting so many offers.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    In your position I'd take the remote support job honestly if they can guarantee some type of clock time weekly. As for the certs I'd recommend the CCNP first, since you don't have much experience with the ASAs I think the NP would better serve you. It's a good solid base to have and I plan to finish it up and then go for the CCSP after, I could go for either in my position but feel getting the NP first is the best route.