Technet pro very disappointed

wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I took the plunge I heard about the technet pro and while listening to Windows weekly several weeks back a 25% off code was useable. I bought it last night and I love it, I've updated all three of my machines to Windows 7 and running office 2010 and what not.

Sadly I'm disppointed in Microsoft though for being touted for IT professionals what gives with only one license for Server 2008 for each version? I'm working on my 70-640 exams and I need more than one server and in real life you don't run 4 different versions of the same OS unless in specfic cases.

Its awsome that the desktop software has 10 licenses each but only 1 server 08 per version that is total bunk. If I knew that I would of got the "standard" technet edition.

Just wanted to vent thanks!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't they allow unlimited activations?

Are you sure those licenses aren't for use within a business environment and not just labbing? I know with the Action Pack they allow you to actually use the software internally. I haven't used Technet since the changes, but I never ran into any limitations of activations while labbing.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    Don't they allow unlimited activations?

Are you sure those licenses aren't for use within a business environment and not just labbing? I know with the Action Pack they allow you to actually use the software internally. I haven't used Technet since the changes, but I never ran into any limitations of activations while labbing.

I was under that impression as well. I would contact Microsoft and talk to them about that.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just checked my Technet and it's a multiple activation key so you should be able to use the key more than once. Have you tried that and have it fail?
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't tried but I'm just worried because I use VMWare and I don't have a machine dedicated to labbing I guess it wouldn't matter because the processor and things all look the same in VMWare.

Just don't want to risk it because there is only one license. I'll let you guys know

Thanks everyone!
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    They give you one license because it's a volume license. Unlimited activations.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How much is the subscription?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    You can also run 2008 for 120 days without activating, per a script that MS theirself provide.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dynamik wrote: »

Pro is $261 with discount code. Awesomeness.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    They give you one license because it's a volume license. Unlimited activations.
    +1
    MAK = Multiple Activation Key, it would be kind of silly if you couldn't really activate multiple times. icon_wink.gif

Anyway if you really want multiple MAKs you can get them. For example with 2008 R2 you can get a MAK with the retail media as well as one with the VL media. Those two MAKs are interchangeable and will work with either media.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    woohooo that totally changes my view on Technet awesome thanks everyone!
  • neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've read here or maybe elsewhere that if you do not re-up your subscription you loose access to the licenses.

Is this true?
    If you don't re-up you loose the ability to download the files and access the licenses. The key do not expire though so make a spread sheet of your keys and place it somewhere safe. I bought some DVDs and have been burning anything I might need in the future and keeping track of the keys via Excel :)
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Honestly, I don't see how Technet is a bad deal; especially if you're going to do PC builds and server builds (for your own use, I would imagine..). Downloading W7, W2k8 Enterprise and SQL Server 200x pays for itself after one time. Imagine that times 3.

I have Dreamspark and MSDN but I can't get, say Word 2007 if I do a new build without Technet. Plus, it's a gazillion times better than the alternative (read: warez).

This means I can just focus on the hardware and not even bother with the software. I really thought the media for MS was limited somehow before I looked at Technet again, or that I needed to be certified or something.

I like-ee. :)
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't see how Technet is a bad deal; especially if you're going to do PC builds and server builds (for your own use, I would imagine..). Downloading W7, W2k8 Enterprise and SQL Server 200x pays for itself after one time. Imagine that times 3.

I have Dreamspark and MSDN but I can't get, say Word 2007 if I do a new build without Technet. Plus, it's a gazillion times better than the alternative (read: warez).

This means I can just focus on the hardware and not even bother with the software. I really thought the media for MS was limited somehow before I looked at Technet again, or that I needed to be certified or something.
    Software from Technet is only for evaluation use only. That means you're not supposed to install it on any production machine. This includes your home desktop that you use regularly. Some people mistakenly believe that evaluation counts as what you're doing on your own machine as you're evaluating Microsoft software for future use elsewhere but it doesn't work like that.
    wweboy wrote: »
    If you don't re-up you loose the ability to download the files and access the licenses. The key do not expire though so make a spread sheet of your keys and place it somewhere safe. I bought some DVDs and have been burning anything I might need in the future and keeping track of the keys via Excel :)
    There is an option on the Technet website to generate a file (XML I believe) that lists all the keys you've been issued.
  • neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So buy a 1TB drive, download everything and keep track of serials and your set for life huh? (I have more disk space than I know what to do with anyways!)

Thats cool, I always assumed the licensed were like the 120 day evaluation copy you get with a $50 study guide.

I might just might cough up the dough now.
    neocybe wrote: »
    So buy a 1TB drive, download everything and keep track of serials and your set for life huh? (I have more disk space than I know what to do with anyways!)
    If you only ever use the maximum number of licenses you get and you never want to upgrade to the next version then sure...

To stop somebody from subscribing and then just not renewing until something new is out, you get a discount on renewal.