Options

I passed! barely...

AllenmanbearAllenmanbear Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys this is my first post and I must say this site is pretty cool. The community is really supportive and helpful. I'd recommend this site to anyone who was studying for the exam. It gives great advice and it helped me.

I took the security+ exam today and WOW that was tough. It asked some way out there questions. I scored a 785. I studied a lot and I must say that studying can only help you so much. You NEED experience like they recommend to fully understand the questions!

I just recently separated from the military and landed a job with a military contractor called Harris. Security+ was a requirement for the job so I had to get it. Some DoD regulation said so.

In the military I worked as a Radio Frequency Communications Technician maintaining Military Radios and Satellite terminals. I had no networking experience but I did practice security all the time.

I used a book from Sybex and online study guides.

This exam is no joke. Experience is the key here in my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    extremegamer1extremegamer1 Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you take any practice exams like the one on CompTIA's website? Were the questions more practical like scenario based? I am trying to get a feel for the exam. thanks
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! What's next?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the cert and welcome to the forums!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    AllenmanbearAllenmanbear Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you take any practice exams like the one on CompTIA's website? Were the questions more practical like scenario based? I am trying to get a feel for the exam. thanks

So yeah questions are scenario based i'd say about 40% like... given "this situation" what is the BEST opinion? then its all about the key words in the question so basically a lot of knowledge application

some of the questions were really really easy like... how many keys does a asymmetric key use? or what is the concept of least privilege? id say that was only 10% though.

there were ZERO port questions.

the rest was just random knowledge spread out. they didnt really focus on one subject.

im sure youve heard this a lot but you can usually eliminate two of the answers right of the bat and then decide from the two remaining and make an educated guess.

for me i really wish i had more hands on experience with this stuff.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats and welcome to TE!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your pass!
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats. I have my test in 46 hours.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    I have to say that sybex book is junk it leaves massive chunks of the test.
  • Options
    unixkidunixkid Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What practice questions did you use?
  • Options
    bracerbracer Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So what you are saying is we all need to quit our jobs and go into the IT security business. For that ever so nice experince. So you answered your own answer dude if you passed it then experince is not needed just a good study habit.
    Always thought that satillite link up the military always wanted to do with the MTC1 was a joke. And yes DOD said military personnal have to have this cert so I have yet to see them putting people out on their butts yet, which means just do what the military does pound it into your head and take it and pass it. Have a nice day. No disrespect dude just wanted to point out it does not take much to do what you have to survive in this ever changing IT world.