CCNP Switches

geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
Hi

Just curious to know if switches like the WS-C2950T 24 port would be good enough for CCNP track and for how long given the IOS features in exam change and talk of v15 etc?

Looking for Router hardware too rather than GNS3 so any pointers for cheap would be good.

Have a 2610 with dual WIC-1Ts and couple of 1700s and some 1900 switches.

Cheers
I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    geezer wrote: »
    Hi

Just curious to know if switches like the WS-C2950T 24 port would be good enough for CCNP track and for how long given the IOS features in exam change and talk of v15 etc?

Yes, the 2950s are good but you're still going to need a multilayer switch (3550 are the cheapest that will get the job done). To my knowledge, there are no exam talks of IOS15. The IOS is too new and not really well spread in datacenters/enterprises (my guess) just yet. You have time on your 12.4T IOSes icon_smile.gif
    Looking for Router hardware too rather than GNS3 so any pointers for cheap would be good.

Have a 2610 with dual WIC-1Ts and couple of 1700s and some 1900 switches.

Cheers

Ebay is going to be your best friend. Be patient to get the best deals. Don't just run out and purchase the gear because you "have to have it yesterday". HTH

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The only issue I noticed with the 3550 is they don't support Prvt VLAN's whcih are in the CCNP, mind you they also don't support supervisor redundancy and you need a much higher end switch to practice that on.

But really a 3550 is plenty for the CCNP. one 3550 and a few 2950s and your fine.

its still the 12.4 ios tested so don't worry about version 15,
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    Thanks for that.

And therein lies the catch - 3550 ain't cheap. Would it be best to tackle ROUTE with GNS3 alone or would hardware be better and which ones - 2620XM?

TIA

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    The only issue I noticed with the 3550 is they don't support Prvt VLAN's whcih are in the CCNP, mind you they also don't support supervisor redundancy and you need a much higher end switch to practice that on.

But really a 3550 is plenty for the CCNP. one 3550 and a few 2950s and your fine.

its still the 12.4 ios tested so don't worry about version 15,

Thanks too

With PVLANs not covered by 3550 what other options are open to me?

How many 2950s? x2?

BTW Congrats (belated) on being a dad :)

• filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks too

With PVLANs not covered by 3550 what other options are open to me?

How many 2950s? x2?

BTW Congrats (belated) on being a dad :)

The prices are not too bad. I am going to get an 8 port 3560 for 700 to 900 dollars icon_smile.gif

Cisco Catalyst 3550-48 SMI Switch

10 Bids
    Buy It Now
    $80.00
    $300.00
    Time left:22h 18m
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
    I am trying to focus on meeting the requirements of the CCNP, CCDP, and CCIP. I also want most of the hardware I invest in to be helpful in the CCIE w/ all the routers being on GNS3.

I am looking at getting:

1 3560 switch (maybe 2, not sure)
    3 3550 Switches

I may end up going cheaper though:

1 3560 switch
    1 3550 switch
    2 2950 switches.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    is 4 the minimum amount of switches needed? Would having 5 or 7 help? or not really?
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    is 4 the minimum amount of switches needed? Would having 5 or 7 help? or not really?

There was someone on here that did the NP with just 3 switches. When I go for it next year, I will probably have 1 3550 and 2 2950s and I may work on the switches at my job from time to time. I don't think you need many more than that for the CCNP. Do you have the CCNA yet? Because I can tell you that 3 switches is plenty for the CCNA with of course 4-5 being somewhat better. I don't think I lost out on much by not having as many.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    3 switchs is fine. hoever for the ideal set up I would say if you can you want 2 layer 3 switches and 2 layer 2 switches. the rest of the lab you want routers. having more than 4 switches will not help. its nice if you have money but wont help you studies much.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    3 switchs is fine. hoever for the ideal set up I would say if you can you want 2 layer 3 switches and 2 layer 2 switches. the rest of the lab you want routers. having more than 4 switches will not help. its nice if you have money but wont help you studies much.

Yea, I figured I needed at least 2 layer 3 switches so they could communication back and forth. So if I have a 3550 and a 3650, that would be fine and I could practice every requirement for the CCNP?
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yea, I figured I needed at least 2 layer 3 switches so they could communication back and forth. So if I have a 3550 and a 3650, that would be fine and I could practice every requirement for the CCNP?

I think the 3560s do. The 3550 don't support private vlans and something else I think. Both of those are layer 3 switches and both are expensive $$$. I don't know what your budget is but keep that in mind. Also have you done the CCNA yet?
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    knwminus wrote: »
    I think the 3560s do. The 3550 don't support private vlans and something else I think.

GLBP.

Two 3550's and two 2950's and you'll be sorted.

You'll be able to understand PVLAN's without going through the config. (You could always go through the config on a rented rack)

And for GLBP, once you know HSRP inside out, GLBP and VRRP will be easy enough anyway.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
    Ouch -those layer 3 switches are expensive!

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Yes they are pricey, but the benefits far outweigh the initial cost. That and you could always re-sell them again when you're done if you're not moving to CCIE. I try to think of it as small investment in my future.
    knwminus wrote: »
    I think the 3560s do. The 3550 don't support private vlans and something else I think. Both of those are layer 3 switches and both are expensive $$$. I don't know what your budget is but keep that in mind. Also have you done the CCNA yet?

No, I have not done the CCNA yet.

I have studied for it extensively and I have a 5 day boot camp coming up in September which provides 10 hours of pre-work, 5 days of 16 hour long classes, 1 week of after study material, a voucher that comes with the class, a 2nd voucher if I fail the test, and if I fail the test a 2nd time i get to retake the boot camp again for free. So I will definitely have my CCNA by October 1st.

It is all paid for by my companies tuition reimbursement program, so it works out great for me. I am next moving onto the SWITCH test in February, which will be a similar boot camp. But between October and Feb when I take the switch boot camp, I will read through the Switch Certification guide, the switch Fundamentals guide, and do a whole lot of labs through GNS3 + 4 real hardware switches.

icon_smile.gif
    CISSP, CCNA SP