Options

cisco 2511 terminal server

6stitches6stitches Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I never really used this router, is there a limit on the number of telnet sessions that it can handle? Can it support 16 console telnet sessions simultaneously?

thanks,

Comments

• Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    I believe it would depend on the IOS. I think 12.2+ will allow 16 telnet sessions at once (eq 0 to 15).
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    The 2511 router allows for a maximum of 16 devices to be remotely accessible

Configuring a Terminal/Comm Server - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Basically, you just create a loopback interface and then reverse telnet to it

conf t
    int lo 0
    ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.255
    transport input all
    no exec
    no shut

Then to access a port:

telnet 10.1.1.1 20xx

where xx= the port number

The config shown on the Cisco link allows you to create easy shortcuts with the "ip host" command
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »

thanks for the info QHalo. "The 2511 router allows for a maximum of 16 devices to be remotely accessible." what they don't specified is how many concurrent sessions.
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Basically, you just create a loopback interface and then reverse telnet to it

conf t
    int lo 0
    ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.255
    transport input all
    no exec
    no shut

Then to access a port:

telnet 10.1.1.1 20xx

where xx= the port number

The config shown on the Cisco link allows you to create easy shortcuts with the "ip host" command

I guess i could assume that it allows for 16xtelnet simultaneous sessions to console. but if anyone has one of these system, can you open up telnets to x.x.x.x:2001 2002 2003 ... to x.x.x.x:2016 have it all open at the same time, that would help ^_^.
  • Options
    Just for fun, I opened sessions on all 16 lines on my 2511

No problems, you can have 16 concurrent sessions

Cisco would have had a hard time selling these if you couldn't access all 16 lines at once.

It's not something you ever need to do most of the time, but if you couldn't folks would complain.

:)
  • Options
    ptlinvaptlinva Member Posts: 125
    I upgraded from a 25xx to a 2610 for use an a access server. When I login to my lab with putty, I have it scripted to connect to all the devices in my lab (14 right now) automatically. When the 2610 boots up, it says 32 terminal line(s), so I'm assuming here...

Assumption: The 2600 series with v12.3 can handle at least 32+ concurrent sessions (wether they are different users or different pieces of equipment) and...

...that a connection, a session, a user, or a device would all be considered the same thing.

Would that be a correct assumption?
  • Options
    thanks for the info... i was looking at another product but it poops out at 6-7 telnet sessions. this makes it easy to choose.
  • Options
    6stitches wrote: »
    thanks for the info... i was looking at another product but it poops out at 6-7 telnet sessions. this makes it easy to choose.

Must not be a very robust box

I did a show proc cpu on my 2511 with zero sessions and utilization was 2%

Ran it again with 16 sessions and it was 3%

But when I let it idle for 10 minutes it was back down to 2%

So all those reverse telnet sessions don't even cause the 2511 to break a sweat
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Must not be a very robust box

I did a show proc cpu on my 2511 with zero sessions and utilization was 2%

Ran it again with 16 sessions and it was 3%

But when I let it idle for 10 minutes it was back down to 2%

So all those reverse telnet sessions don't even cause the 2511 to break a sweat

i was looking at Digi EtherLite product and saw that someone posted it can only handle up to 7 telnet sessions, but their TS products... which is much more expensive will handle more. in the end the cisco is cheaper, but the TS product has a nice feature where you can have multiple session to the same console... pretty crazy. might be useful.
  • Options
    JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    I went with a Cyclades TS2000 off eBay. The only annoying thing was that I had to make my own cables to connect to the Cisco devices. You can regularly find them for $99 shipped. Here's a link to the manual if you want to read up on it. Also shows the cable pinouts if you're curious as to how those are made.

Avocent - Cyclades-TS Terminal Servers
  • Options
    why did you decide to go with cyclade , instead of say cisco 2511, they are pretty close in price. maybe 50$ difference. the digi TS series are 500+, the etherlite is around 30$ only but won't serve our purpose.

whats the pros and con about the cyclade you are working with?
  • Options
    JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    I didn't even know about the Cyclades until I saw a post from another forum member here that was using one. I started searching on eBay and realized I could get a 32 port version pretty cheap. I ended up getting really lucky and scored a deal for $50 shipped.

To be honest, I haven't explored the device in its entirety. But it was really easy to setup. I had to perform a factory reset. After that all it needed was an IP and netmask to get it onto my network. The device allocates ports 7001-7032 for the devices. So if you plug a switch into port 3 then all you have to do is telnet to port 7003. It's pretty simple.
  • Options
    JSK wrote: »
    I didn't even know about the Cyclades until I saw a post from another forum member here that was using one. I started searching on eBay and realized I could get a 32 port version pretty cheap. I ended up getting really lucky and scored a deal for $50 shipped.

To be honest, I haven't explored the device in its entirety. But it was really easy to setup. I had to perform a factory reset. After that all it needed was an IP and netmask to get it onto my network. The device allocates ports 7001-7032 for the devices. So if you plug a switch into port 3 then all you have to do is telnet to port 7003. It's pretty simple.

wow.. that's really cheap, i think i try to buy some because 32ports/50$ is really cheap.
  • Options
    i like the fact that these Cyclades have console ports ^^ . that's nice to have i don't believe digi has these.
  • Options
    Dave88LXDave88LX Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ptlinva wrote: »
    I upgraded from a 25xx to a 2610 for use an a access server. When I login to my lab with putty, I have it scripted to connect to all the devices in my lab (14 right now) automatically. When the 2610 boots up, it says 32 terminal line(s), so I'm assuming here...

Assumption: The 2600 series with v12.3 can handle at least 32+ concurrent sessions (wether they are different users or different pieces of equipment) and...

...that a connection, a session, a user, or a device would all be considered the same thing.

Would that be a correct assumption?
    Just a curiosity question, what was the reason behind the upgrade? 26xx + the module is pretty pricey it looks like.
  • Options
    CheekooCheekoo Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a unique issue.
    I have configured 2621 as access router and I am able go to any other router.
    The problem is this;
    I can not get back to access terminal with ‘ctrl-shift-6-x'. yes I am stuck at the router i got to.
    nothing works and in the end i shut down.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cheekoo wrote: »
    I can not get back to access terminal with ‘ctrl-shift-6-x'. yes I am stuck at the router i got to.
    If you didn't configure the terminal server it's possible someone else might have configured it to use a different escape character.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You can change the default escape character on the access server to something other than x using the terminal escape-character command.

If I'm using an access server to access several other access servers, I usually change the first access server escape sequence to Ctrl-Shift-6-w

If you have CLI access to the terminal server check the running config for the terminal escape-character command.

But if you don't have much experience using terminal servers it's more likely that your trying to hit all the keys at once..... Hold down the CTRL key, then hit the ^ (that adding the held down Shift shift key to the already held down CTRL key and then hitting and releasing the 6 key), release the keys you're still holding down (the CTRL and Shift keys), and then hit the x
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    faisalrafiqfaisalrafiq Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone explain that how I connect my 3 routers to a 2511 terminal server? where to terminate cables in 2511 & what type of cables are required?

thanks
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    where to terminate cables in 2511 & what type of cables are required?
    You want a CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC cable. They come in 3 foot, 10 foot, and 15 foot lengths.

Cisco 8 Lead Octal Cable, 3', CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC

You attach the 68 pin connecter to the 68 pin port on the terminal server and put one of the RJ-45 connector in the router console port.

Then you configure your terminal server: Configuring a Terminal/Comm Server - Cisco Systems
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have a 2511-RJ, you need what is called a rollover cable.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    6stitches wrote: »
    i like the fact that these Cyclades have console ports ^^ . that's nice to have i don't believe digi has these.

I'm confused about the ports on this thing...how do you connect it to the console ports on your routers and switches? Standard crossover cable from a port on the cyclades to console port on each device?
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    I'm confused about the ports on this thing...how do you connect it to the console ports on your routers and switches? Standard crossover cable from a port on the cyclades to console port on each device?

Rollover cable.
  • Options
    DPG wrote: »
    Rollover cable.

I was referring to the cyclade. It has 8p8c jacks, not 15 pin serial.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    I was referring to the cyclade. It has 8p8c jacks, not 15 pin serial.

I was referring to the Cyclades as well. You can use a standard 1-8 to 8-1 rollover cable (RJ45-RJ45).
  • Options
    DPG wrote: »
    I was referring to the Cyclades as well. You can use a standard 1-8 to 8-1 rollover cable (RJ45-RJ45).

Ok I see now. Derp...my bad. Thanks!
  • Options
    Ric_Ric_ Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, I read through this thread regarding the 2511 as an access server and there was great information but I was wondering if a 3640 router can also be used as an access server? If so, does that mean that is the only function that router will have (i.e. can it still be used as an MPLS router while being an access server).

Thanks in advance.

Ric
  • Options
    Sure, just toss in a NM-16A or NM-32A along with 2x or 4x CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC.

The router will still be able to do whatever else you need.