Options

New to ICND (CCNA) Where do I begin

goofydragon1goofydragon1 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
My job has recently told me that they'd order a few switches that I need to configure. Cisco 35xx catalyst. I am a noob, but I know how to work around in the CLI.

I am interested working towards my CCNA because of this project. But I do not know where to begin.

What books are out their that I should study prepare with?

Should I work on ICND1/2 or go straight for the CCNA, granted I heard its easier taking ICND1 that 2.

Any online tips?

Thanks

“If I had six hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend the first four of them sharpening my axe”.

-Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• Options
    I also wanted to know what is the average time it take for one to be certified?
  • Options
    JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    There is a CCNA FAQ sticky in this forum. I would start there. It contains a lot of helpful information.

Personally, I used the ICND1 and ICND2 books by Wendell Odom as well as the CCNA book by Todd Lammle.
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Depends on your networking background. If you don't know much about networking, then I would do ICND 1 & 2. I studied and passed my CCNA in about 6 weeks. Seems that a lot of people spend about the same time, but it all depends on how much you are willing to put in it.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    Network knowledge, though I never took the CompTIA Network+, I rate myself slightly lower than an intermediate. I have configured ACL's, and switches, worked with logs, created VLAN's but most of it has been on the job.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took about 8-10 weeks total between ICND1 and then ICND2 (split about evenly). I went in having the type of knowledge you pick up just working around computers and my home network - I knew what a crossover cable was, etc. Like what was said above, whether you take the 1 or 2 exam pretty much depends on how much you know how to find you way around the IOS, your knowledge of routing protocols, subnetting, troubleshooting, etc.

[edit]: I pretty much used CBTNuggets and Odom's books for my studying. I picked up Lammle's book for ICND1 but took the exam without finishing it.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno