Virtualisation Question

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Morning people I have a question for you guys which has been bugging me but do not want to sound like a idiot in the process lol ahwell here it goes.

Is there a way of setting up a server virtually and getting it to boot automatically when the computer / server is powered on, i.e for example if you had a server handling your DHCP which was running virtually it would be a major hassle if you had to turn on the computer load up your main OS then load up the server via VMWARE.

Is this a ridiculous question lol or can it be done?

Many thanks
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    My vmware server boots up all my my Guest OS's in any order I choose and with any delay I specify, I guess it depends on what Hypervisor you are running though.
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    What type of virtualization are you using? VMware? Microsoft? Citrix?

It sounds like whatever you're using is running on top of another OS. Have you considered removing the extra layer and having your VMs run on a free platform like VMware ESXi? This would reduce the amount of overhead required by the platform and increase performance.

In any case, if you're using VMware you can have the guest systems boot up automatically in any order you choose upon booting up the host.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA