Start labbing for CCNP Switch

danc_101danc_101 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok, I want to start labbing for the CCNP switch.

I have the following :

1 x 3550
3 x 2950

However I can't think of many scenarios / setups to try ! icon_smile.gif

Can anyone give me some advice ?

Comments

• HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    try setting up MST and having it interact with CST
  • dm3mdgtrdm3mdgtr Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm getting in final prep for that test and I am concentrating on Etherchannel, HSRP (being Cisco proprietary I would be shocked if they had a lab with VRRP or GLBP).

I bet they will also through a VACL and/or private VLAN lab too. No clue but that's just a guess.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dm3mdgtr wrote: »
    I'm getting in final prep for that test and I am concentrating on Etherchannel, HSRP (being Cisco proprietary I would be shocked if they had a lab with VRRP or GLBP).

I bet they will also through a VACL and/or private VLAN lab too. No clue but that's just a guess.

GLBP is proprietary Cisco as well... If I were you, I would be sure I'm proficient in *all* the exam topics. Just my thoughts... Good luck! icon_thumright.gif

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not sure about SWITCH, but BCMSN tested heavily on MODERATED. Not so much on MODERATED, but that might change with the new test so make sure you know it well. I doubt you'll see any questions on MODERATED.

Only the high end switches can do GLBP, but you can practice the protocol on routers or with GNS3.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Netwurk wrote: »
    BCMSN tested heavily
    Discussion of anything you saw or learned on any Cisco exam is a violation of the Cisco NDA -- and a violation of TechExam Policy. And posting that is also a violation of the Cisco Candidate Conduct Policy.

And when you add to it that there is also "luck of the draw" sometimes on questions from the test pool -- your advice could just be plain wrong for someone else's exam. icon_rolleyes.gif

Cisco Candidate Conduct Policy
    No candidate will take any action that will compromise the integrity or confidentiality of a Cisco Certification examination or otherwise compromise the integrity of the Cisco Certification program. Such actions include but are not limited to:
    • Disseminating actual exam content via web postings, discussion groups, chat rooms, study guides, etc.

Cisco Career Certifications and Confidentiality Agreement
    You agree that the contents of the exam are confidential and that the disclosure of that information could compromise the integrity of the Program and of Certifications. Cisco makes exams available to you solely to test your knowledge of the exam subject matter for which you seek Certification. You are expressly prohibited from disclosing, publishing, reproducing, or transmitting any exam and any related information including, without limitation, questions, answers, worksheets, computations, drawings, diagrams, length or number of exam segments or questions, or any communication, including oral communication regarding or related to the exam (known collectively as “Proprietary Information”), in whole or in part, in any form or by any means, oral or written, electronic or mechanical, for any purpose, without the prior express written permission of Cisco.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thought I was being vague enough not to violate the NDA, but I stand corrected.

:)
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Regardless, you want to know the theory, how to configure, and how to troubleshoot all three of the first-hop redundancy protocols.
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Thought I was being vague enough not to violate the NDA, but I stand corrected.

:)

Yeah, its was pretty vague and not something i think that is wrong to post, but it does cross the line the NDA draws.
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cisco has a BCMSN Lab book that is available on amazon. 19 labs in all.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    Can't go wrong with the BCMSN lab workbook. Definitely a big help on the BCMSN exam.
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    danc_101 wrote: »
    Ok, I want to start labbing for the CCNP switch.

I have the following :

1 x 3550
    3 x 2950

However I can't think of many scenarios / setups to try ! icon_smile.gif

Can anyone give me some advice ?

Well, being on a severe budget, I'm studying SWITCH and using Boson's virtual lab program for CCNP. Yeah, it's not as good as the real equipment, but it's a lot better than having nothing to configure at all, that's for sure. I think it's a reasonable substitute, especially since I don't work where I can access lab equipment like some lucky folks here.

It's all about learning. If you can learn what you need with the tools you have, I figure that's what counts. When I read about some people who live in mud huts and who have to walk two miles for drinking water, I consider myself especially blessed to have access to what I do, so I'm not complaining - at all. icon_study.gif