Question from a C++ noob

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I decided to start learning C++ today. I was making a un-managed (native) console C++ app in VS 2008.

My C++ noob question is that I cannot find a compiled executable anywhere within the project's folder; how do I have it create the .exe for me?

Comments

• gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    exampasser wrote: »
    I decided to start learning C++ today. I was making a un-managed (native) console C++ app in VS 2008.

My C++ noob question is that I cannot find a compiled executable anywhere within the project's folder; how do I have it create the .exe for me?

Doesn't it create the .exe when you hit f5 for debugging? Do you see a bin folder inside the project folder? and a release folder inside bin?
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    Doesn't it create the .exe when you hit f5 for debugging? Do you see a bin folder inside the project folder? and a release folder inside bin?

I thought it would but it doesn't and there is no bin folder.
    I guess the bin folder would only be in a C# project.

Check the debug folder. I don't think you should have to but if you don't see it in one of the debug folders try clicking build solution in the build menu.
    I guess the bin folder would only be in a C# project.

Check the debug folder. I don't think you should have to but if you don't see it in one of the debug folders try clicking build solution in the build menu.

There is a debug folder but it does not contain any executables.
    are you using the full version of Visual studio? or the express edition.

if the name of the project is helloworld then you can got to the visual studio 2008 folder > project > helloworld > debug

there you should see helloworld.exe
    There is a debug folder but it does not contain any executables.

there should be two debug folders one will have an exe one will not
    there should be two debug folders one will have an exe one will not

It's there yay! But it was not there before, strange. Thanks for your help.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Are you using Visual C++? I loathe it. I'd start with good old C++ and the bloodshed compiler. gets the job done, I still use it to solve little problems of my own. Have fun!
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
    phantasm wrote: »
    Are you using Visual C++? I loathe it. I'd start with good old C++ and the bloodshed compiler. gets the job done, I still use it to solve little problems of my own. Have fun!

Yea I'm using Visual C++, as I'm already familiar with the interface in general as I already know Visual Basic.
    Yea I'm using Visual C++, as I'm already familiar with the interface in general as I already know Visual Basic.

I've played around with C++ a bit but I'm more fond of C#. There also seems to be more jobs these days asking for C#
    I've played around with C++ a bit but I'm more found of C#. There also seems to be more jobs these days asking for C#
    I've played around with C# a little bit.
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    C++ is the DEVIL! icon_twisted.gif
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
    Does anybody know of any good guides on using form controls in Visual C++?