Build or Buy

2»

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Am I really the only one that's sick of building? It's more of a chore than anything. I'd rather just pay someone else to do it at this point.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got sick of building a few years ago. It was fun back in the day but buying motherboards was such a guessing game. Now a days you can find some good tech review sites.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well I'm leaning back towards buying again. I still want something rack mounted so I can save space( my computer room isn't that big).

I'm looking at something like this
    HP DL360 G4p SERVER 64-bit 2xXEON 3.4GHz/6GB RAM/2x73GB - eBay (item 270619356539 end time Aug-15-10 09:51:09 PDT)
    and getting 1-2 if I can afford it after a suggestion about vmotion from a TE member. I think if I can get them to sell me 2 at a discount, this could be a the way to go. I still have a few people I'm talking to so we will see.
    I also guess I should say, I am going to buy this rack for my network .

12U Home Rack Stand
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    knwminus wrote: »
    I also guess I should say, I am going to buy this rack for my network .

12U Home Rack Stand

If you're racking servers and routers/switches then you're going to want a sturdier rack. Dantrek makes a nice line of racks called Skeletek. I just sold my 12u unit to a friend since my lab grew into the 20u size. lol.

Dantrak Net *- New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
    phantasm wrote: »
    If you're racking servers and routers/switches then you're going to want a sturdier rack. Dantrek makes a nice line of racks called Skeletek. I just sold my 12u unit to a friend since my lab grew into the 20u size. lol.

Dantrak Net *- New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.

How about this one? Dantrak Net  - New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.
    Keep in mind that you're going to want a four-poster for servers. They have shelves you can get for the two-post models, but you just have to balance the servers on them. I wasn't a fan. Check out something like these: Dantrak Net *- New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    Am I really the only one that's sick of building? It's more of a chore than anything. I'd rather just pay someone else to do it at this point.

I kind of feel that way as well. At the most, I buy from TigerDirect bundle packages and then put them together.

I guess you might call that a Lego set? icon_lol.gif
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well I'm leaning back towards buying again. I still want something rack mounted so I can save space( my computer room isn't that big).

HP DL360 G4p SERVER 64-bit 2xXEON 3.4GHz/6GB RAM/2x73GB - eBay (item 270619356539 end time Aug-15-10 09:51:09 PDT)
    and getting 1-2 if I can afford it after a suggestion about vmotion from a TE member. I think if I can get them to sell me 2 at a discount, this could be a the way to go. I still have a few people I'm talking to so we will see.
    Looks like something I'd like to get next.
    With my home built machine I'm just running Server 2008 R2 and Hyper-V as I'm still studying MS. When I get done with WGU I'm not decided yet on what direction I'm going to go. I do know from job postings I need to get exchange experience (got a little recently setting up SBS in an office) and it would be advantageous to get the certs for exchange. I'm also leaning towards more virtualiztion certs (MS of course)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    I'm starting to wonder if just getting a tower desktop and throwing ram at it might be the answer. For my budget, getting something decent is going to be difficult.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm starting to wonder if just getting a tower desktop and throwing ram at it might be the answer. For my budget, getting something decent is going to be difficult.

Another thing that you should keep in mind is the cost of running those servers. They really eat electricity!

VMware Compatibility Guide - Search the VMware Compatibility Guide

I'd review that and see what you can find used on eBay. vMotion is cool, but aside from learning how to set it up, there aren't a lot of practical uses for it in a home lab.
    Hmm. I just thought about something else. I could build a whitebox rackmount.....
    Well I'm looking at this case for an 1U server. This looks like an interesting prospect

Newegg.com - ASUS RS100-E6/PI2 1U Silent Compact Barebone Server Intel 3420 LGA 1156 Intel Xeon 3400 series / Core i7-800 series / Core i5-700 series

I could get a quad port nic for this thing but to keep my cost down, I might just start off with a 2 port for now. Any thoughts on ECC memory or not? I personally don't think I need it but I am not 100% sure either way. I know what it does but for a home server, it seems overkill.
    Any thoughts on ECC memory or not? I personally don't think I need it but I am not 100% sure either way.

Some motherboards (usually server) require it.
    Some motherboards (usually server) require it.

That's what I was thinking but this mb says ECC supported not required:

Memory Supported Memory Slots 4 x 240Pin
    Max Memory Supported 16GB
    Memory Type Supported DDR3 1333/1066/800
    Channel Supported Dual Channel
    ECC Supported Yes

You know, it is times like these I kinda wish I had a server+ book somewhere lol.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□

You have to be careful about the CPU. There are some 64-bit CPUs that don't support VT. Microsoft Hyper-V requires VT to function at all, Citrix XenServer requires it for Windows guests, and VMware ESX requires it to run 64-bit guests. Starting with vCenter 4.1, it is now 64-bit only, so you will need VT if you want to run vCenter in a VM. Also VMware Data Recovery (covered on the VCP exam) is 64-bit only.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    You have to be careful about the CPU. There are some 64-bit CPUs that don't support VT. Microsoft Hyper-V requires VT to function at all, Citrix XenServer requires it for Windows guests, and VMware ESX requires it to run 64-bit guests. Starting with vCenter 4.1, it is now 64-bit only, so you will need VT if you want to run vCenter in a VM. Also VMware Data Recovery (covered on the VCP exam) is 64-bit only.

Thanks for the heads up. I know the VT is important but I guess I forgot how important it was for VMware. I remembered that 4.1 is 64 bit only but I have never heard of the Vmware Data Recovery. Good tip!
    I crunched the numbers and it seems that building a 1 or 2 U server is going to be best. I of course will start off with one and go from there. It will be blogged of course.
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    I crunched the numbers and it seems that building a 1 or 2 U server is going to be best. I of course will start off with one and go from there. It will be blogged of course.

Are you still looking at sticking to your $500 budget? Seems building a 1/2 U would cost more than that.

What are you looking at using for your base components?
    Silentsoul wrote: »
    Are you still looking at sticking to your $500 budget? Seems building a 1/2 U would cost more than that.

What are you looking at using for your base components?

I've increased my budget a little bit.
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    knwminus, cool project.

I was going this route myself, but my home PC is pretty nice (dual core Intel). I just upgraded my RAM and everything is mostly great; still doesn't run 64 bit guests yet, though.

I find the most fun in physically building the PC and using it.

Spec it out and the research is not as fun I don't think--prices and parts are a moving target, like trying to shoot at a cars tires.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.