Options

VTPv2

ZblaJhaNiZblaJhaNi Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Regarding to CCNP Switch Official Guide:

In VTP version 1, a transparent mode switch does not even relay VTP information it receives to other switches unless its VTP domain names and VTP version numbers match those of the other switches. In VTP version 2, transparent switches do forward received VTP advertisements out of their trunk ports, acting as VTP relays. This occurs regardless of the VTP domain name setting.

I made a quick lab with three switches and VTPv2 TRANSPARENT switch did not relay vtp packets if VTP domain name is different.....

I did some research and i found this:

Old CCIE Myths: VTP – CCIE Blog

My question. If i will receive a question in the exam about VTPv2 and relaying packets, how should i answer? :)

BR
...to the stars through difficulties...

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd go with what Cisco has in their documentation for the exam.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dm3mdgtrdm3mdgtr Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Agreed. Cisco exams are strange that way. They sometimes are a bit different than industry standards say. Go with what's in the book. Also, they mention that in transparent mode the domain gets set to null.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've heard this one before. I think that VTP2 only forwards for transparent if the domain name is null. I have enough switches to test this but I can't reconfigure my network right now since my wife is surfing the web.

:)