640-802 Tomorrow (8/13/10)

JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All, I joined the site in '07 while preparing for my A+, but have recently become active within the community so all in all I am pretty new to the forums.

I sit for my CCNA (640-802) tomorrow morning at 9:00AM PST. I have been reviewing with practice exams, hands on labs and various Cisco press books. I plan to power up my rack this evening after work and run through a config session covering the syllabus.

Do any CCNA holders have any advice for day 1 preparation?
(within the guidelines of the Cisco NDA of course)

Thanks and I will post results following my exam. :)
Lab on!

Comments

• phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good luck, hope you know subnetting well.
  • JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    My advice would be to not cram. Spend an hour or so reviewing but otherwise just take the evening off and relax. Get a good nights sleep so that you're fresh and ready to go in the morning.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JaCkNiFe wrote: »
    Do any CCNA holders have any advice for day 1 preparation?
    Try not to drive yourself crazy icon_lol.gif

You can check out the Exam Demo and read the Cisco NDA tonight. Then you can use that time before the exam when you'd normally watch and do the demo and read (and agree to) the NDA to jot down notes on your dry erase sheets (or scratch paper if you're one of the lucky few that goes to an old school test center). Or you can end the misery of waiting for the exam that much sooner and skip the demo before the exam and just jump down to the I Agree section of the NDA and get to the exam that much sooner.

Cisco Career Certifications and Confidentiality Agreement

Certification Exam Tutorial

For Day 0 keep an eye on the clock and watch the time management. If you've done lots of lab practice the SIMs should be easy, so don't spend more than 10 minutes or so on one. If something is flaky, get the proctor. If the SIM is strange and something you've never seen or heard about while studying, do you best and hope it's an ungraded "beta question."

Move steadily and firmly through the questions. Read the question. Read ALL the answers. The read then question AGAIN. If you had missed a word in the question or misunderstood the question when you initially read it, you may catch it on the second reading as you ponder why none of the answers seemed to match the question you initially thought they had asked.

Remember that there is NO mark and review option on the Cisco exams. Once you hit the next button, don't worry about that question anymore.

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    Good luck tomorrow. Relax tonight for sure.
  • jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    You do realize you scheduled an exam on friday the 13th right? ;)
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jjbrog wrote: »
    You do realize you scheduled an exam on friday the 13th right? ;)
    He's gonna knock it out though!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best of Luck, don't think of passing or failing, focus on the questions!
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    JSK wrote: »
    My advice would be to not cram. Spend an hour or so reviewing but otherwise just take the evening off and relax. Get a good nights sleep so that you're fresh and ready to go in the morning.

This....
  • JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I appreciate it.

I failed the exam today with a 770/1000. A tough pill to swallow indeed. However, I am going to review my troubled areas and retest asap.

Any advice for failing? lol!
    Lab on!
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I appreciate it.

I failed the exam today with a 770/1000. A tough pill to swallow indeed. However, I am going to review my troubled areas and retest asap.

Chock it up as a learning experience, an expensive one. But one none-the-less. Don't be too hard on yourself though, just study some more and do it again.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    That sucks man. What did you not do to good on? Focus on those areas. What I do when I am reading the book is I take notes in a word doc. For my CCNA, my word doc was 53 pages long which included graphics, topologies, pictures, etc etc.

What was passing btw?
    CCNP :study:
    I think my biggest problem was rushing through the sims and not carefully reading the questions. I will retest on Friday the 20th and post results. :)
    Lab on!
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□

Yeah, take the two exam course. Do ICND1 then ICND2.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »

I am one of the biggest advocates of the two exam approach. It helps you focus on each objective in greater depth and you get to run through two designations :)
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »

I think he came close enough that he could probably sit the 1 test route and be fine. Study up on the weak areas and do some labbing over the next week. Even if you take 2 weeks and study you will probably get it on the next go.
    I sat for the CCNA this morning and Passed! 885/1000

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions.
    Lab on!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Passed!
    Congratulations on the CCNA!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jacknife wrote: »
    i sat for the ccna this morning and passed! 885/1000

thanks for all the kind words and suggestions.

congrats!!!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    fly351 wrote: »
    That sucks man. What did you not do to good on? Focus on those areas. What I do when I am reading the book is I take notes in a word doc. For my CCNA, my word doc was 53 pages long which included graphics, topologies, pictures, etc etc.

What was passing btw?
    Any chance you could upload it? that would be sweet and a lot of us would be greatful!
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man!!!!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats dude! Persistence pays off.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    Congrats. I am also tempted to do the 1 exam course CCNA. Im thinking to take it this coming September.