Options

Laptop Advice

ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
I posted this thread elsewhere, but you guys are more technical than the people here.

I'm currently looking for a new laptop, budget is around $1500 +/- a few hundred. I'm not a gamer, so I don't need a high end video card, but the high end laptops seem to come with one.

Here are a few I'm considering:

Micro Center - Asus G73Jh-X5 Laptop Computer - Jet Black G73JH-X5
Micro Center - Hewlett-Packard Pavilion dv7-4080us Laptop Computer - Silver WQ630UA#ABA
Asus - Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 17.3" Display / 6GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Black - G73JH-RBBX05

The big things I need area a 17.3 inch screen and an i7. The rest is up for debate. 6 Gigs ram minimum, 8 would be nice. The graphics cards that these things have are all nice, but I'm not a gamer and don't care very much about them. Blu-ray is nice, as is 1080 vertical resolution. None of that is mandatory either.

I appreciate either thoughts on these machines or suggestions on others. I love the quality of ASUS. I know of a few HP machines with good specs, but I'm hesitant about the quality of them. A few people I know have had nothing but problems with one.
More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.

Comments

• Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    I recently purchased a laptop for myself at work, and ill tell you, its going to be VERY difficult to find a 17"+ monitor, with an I7 processor, 6+gigs of ram+ for much under 2k. I the one I got was only 15.6 display, but was an I7 with 8 gigs of ram, and was just under 2k. If you happen to find that setup, let me know where for future reference!
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    Take a look at the specs for the first one I posted:
    * Intel® Core(tm) i7-720QM
    * 8GB DDR3 RAM
    * 640GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
    * Blu-ray Combo Drive
    * 8-in-1 Memory Card Reader
    * ATI Mobility Radeon HD5870
    * 802.11b/g/n Wireless
    * Bluetooth 2.1
    * 17.3" Full HD LED-backlit Display
    * Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    * Jet Black

$1,599.99
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    estamandestamand Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are a few Toshiba laptop choices.

They are 18.4" screens

Toshiba Satellite P500-ST5807 Laptop
    7 HP 64bit
    i7-720QM
    4GB ram
    320GB
    1099$

Toshiba Satellite® P500-ST68X2 Laptops
    7 HP 64bit
    i7-720QM
    4GB ram
    500GB
    1199$

Toshiba Qosmio® X500-Q895S Laptops
    7 Pro 64bit
    i7-740QM
    6GB ram
    1TB (2 x 500GB)
    1899$
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Laptop manufacturers will gouge you for 8GB of RAM, so I suggest buying the minimum offered and then buying 3rd party RAM. I bought a Thinkpad T510 recently, and the minimum offered was 4GB (2x 2GB DIMMs), with the 8GB (2x 4GB DIMMs) upgrade costing over $500 from Lenovo!! Instead I bought a 8GB DDR3 kit (Mushkin brand, lifetime warranty) for $225 on Amazon, and will sell the 4GB on eBay (should get $75 or so).

They'll also rip you off for hard drive upgrades. I wanted an SSD but to upgrade my order to a 120GB SSD was over $600, and who knows what brand and quality it would be! I got the Laptop with the standard 320GB hard drive, and bought a Corsair 120GB SSD (Sandforce controller, currently the best for consumer SSDs) for $300, and I can use the original 320GB for something else.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi, You still haven't told us why you need the laptop for because this will tell us exactly your needs.

I like the idea about upgrading the ram, it's always cheaper to get it later and it's very easy to install. The only one problem with 17 is that it will be heavier.

I like the third laptop you've listed and it's been chosen by Cnet as one of the best desktop replacement.

The price is well seems very reasonable and if you want to upgrade the memory you're still under 1500$ however the only think I don't like about it is the Hard Drive but again the price is really good

Please take a look at this link it has some nice info

Laptop buying guide - CNET Reviews
  • Options
    moumoumoumou Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Check out Gaming Laptops - XOTIC PC - Gaming Notebooks - Custom Laptops - Custom Notebooks

WIP: OSWP && OSCP

banner2.png