Options

Switches defaults to dynamic auto or desirable?

feng.lianfeng.lian Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
For trunking that is. The Odom book says auto while CBT Nuggets says desirable.

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All switches that I've seen are default set to dynamic desirable. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    both :)

c3560_SW1#sh int f0/10 trunk

Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan
    Fa0/10 auto negotiate other 1

NME_16ES#sh int f1/0/10 trunk

Fa1/0/10 auto negotiate other 1

c2950_SW4#sh int f0/10 trunk

Fa0/10 desirable 802.1q not-trunking 1

Looks like maybe "auto" on newer switches, and "desirable" on older switches.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    feng.lianfeng.lian Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My, I hope there won't be a direct question on this in the exam. If there is I'll probably choose auto. Thanks for the answers.
  • Options
    JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    I love CBT Nuggets but in a situation like this I would trust the official exam book.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    From Cisco.com - IOS 12.2

Catalyst Switches

The default mode is dependent on the platform; it should be either dynamic auto for platforms that are intended as wiring closets or dynamic desirable for platforms that are intended as backbone switches. The default for PVLAN ports is that no mode is set.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    From Cisco.com - IOS 12.2

Catalyst Switches

The default mode is dependent on the platform; it should be either dynamic auto for platforms that are intended as wiring closets or dynamic desirable for platforms that are intended as backbone switches. The default for PVLAN ports is that no mode is set.

And last I heard, the CCNA was written for the 2960. So for the CCNA, dynamic auto.
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    alan2308 wrote: »
    And last I heard, the CCNA was written for the 2960. So for the CCNA, dynamic auto.

I'm going with that as well. Just keep in mind 2 switches with dynamic auto will not trunk. One has to be set to dynamic desirable or trunk. I would expect in the exam they will tell you what kind of switch you are looking at for any particular question.
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will find that most newer switchs, such as 2960 or 3560 will default to dynamic auto. That way they wont accidently form a trunk with a neighbouring switch. Its just a security measure really. Obviously if you have switches that default to dynamic desirable, then they will actively try to negociate trunk links. Now you as the admin, might not want that to occurr. It just means that when you buy a new switch, you dont have to worry about trunk links accidently forming.

Older switches will default to dynamic desirable.
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I quite like the new configuration because it forces people to have some basic knowledge to get even a small Cisco network going.

It reminds me of Soho wireless gear that comes out of the box wireless open to the world!
    Who's great idea was that?