Options

Packet Tracer disabled commands

jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
I am simulating on Packet Tracer 5.3 on switches regarding spanning tree enhancements (bpduguard, uplinkfast, backbonefast...etc) and found out that there are many IOS command missing. It's good that our office have 5 Catalysts 2960 to test this commands but it is currently operational. I know that by enabling uplinkfast, backbonefast and portfast with bpduguard (as long as I will not include the switch link on portfast) will not mess my network but is there any sims that have most of these commands? For routers, I am using GNS3/dynamips but not applicable to switches.

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jojopramos wrote: »
    ...is there any sims that have most of these commands? For routers, I am using GNS3/dynamips but not applicable to switches.

Unfortunately, there's nothing for switches. You'll have to lab it up at work... Hopefully you all have some extra switches lying around to test on. I would STRONGLY suggest you not "practice" on production equipment. Some environments would be willing to lay employees off for messing around on production networks... especially if something goes wrong. Just a few words of wisdom!! HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Unfortunately, there's nothing for switches. You'll have to lab it up at work... Hopefully you all have some extra switches lying around to test on. I would STRONGLY suggest you not "practice" on production equipment. Some environments would be willing to lay employees off for messing around on production networks... especially if something goes wrong. Just a few words of wisdom!! HTH.

-Peanut

I'll second that. Don't touch your works production network, leave it alone. It is cheaper to buy lab equipment off of ebay than to be out of a job. I just bought a ws-c2950c-24 for $55 shipped.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree with you on this because I always see to it that I have my test lab on my Microsoft servers. But regarding some commands on spanning-tree enahancements, I just make sure that the commands are in my Cisco catalysts (show spanning-tree ? in priv and spanning-tree ? in GC and interface) since I dont see it in the packet tracer. For now, i decided to disconnect 1 catalyst switch to our network and make it as my test switch for this commands. Don't worry guys, I reconnected the devices/pc's to another switch. Thanks...
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excellent... Just be sure not to reconnect that switch! ESPECIALLY if you've modified any vlans and you have it set to a server! Your configuration revision will probably be higher. I did this before... on a production network icon_scratch.gif when I first got into the router and switch world! Good luck.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I'll second that. Don't touch your works production network, leave it alone. It is cheaper to buy lab equipment off of ebay than to be out of a job. I just bought a ws-c2950c-24 for $55 shipped.
    Unless you have spare fiber patch cables, I would recommend the C2950T's instead of the C's.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    milanchatterjeemilanchatterjee Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi All
    With reference to this particular discussion thread, I am also facing some commanding problem with my packet Tracer 5.3 simulator. There I am not being able to use my switchport port-security commands.

They are taking in the commands as I am pressing "Tab" or even the "?", but it is not taking any effect to prevent the "naughty things" I am trying to do on my "office network"

Thanks and regards

Milan Chatterjee
  • Options
    Excellent... Just be sure not to reconnect that switch! ESPECIALLY if you've modified any vlans and you have it set to a server! Your configuration revision will probably be higher. I did this before... on a production network icon_scratch.gif when I first got into the router and switch world! Good luck.

-Peanut

Unless vtp domain and password have been setup.
  • Options
    fly351 wrote: »
    Unless you have spare fiber patch cables, I would recommend the C2950T's instead of the C's.

For home lab Im not going to use the fiber uplink ports. Unless the cables are cheap enough on ebay. I have 3, 2x 2950t and 1x 2950c, each under $60 shipped. Havent found a better deal yet.
  • Options
    Hi All
    With reference to this particular discussion thread, I am also facing some commanding problem with my packet Tracer 5.3 simulator. There I am not being able to use my switchport port-security commands.

They are taking in the commands as I am pressing "Tab" or even the "?", but it is not taking any effect to prevent the "naughty things" I am trying to do on my "office network"

Thanks and regards

Milan Chatterjee

Enabling port-security not available in packet tracer 5.3. You also can't change a dynamic mac to static or put it as a sticky. Just try this on a real switch 2050 / 2960. But as everybody says, don't try this on production router and switches.
  • Options
    gecurry1999gecurry1999 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try using the latest Packet Tracer it has all the commands.
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Try using the latest Packet Tracer it has all the commands.

Did you notice the thread date August 2010 ;) That said; being a simulator, packet tracer will always be limited and not support 100% of commands. It is enough for passing CCNA tho
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)