Options

Thinking about a degree....

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
I am 27 icon_eek.gif and thinking about going back to College. Does anyone know of or had any experience with going to http://www.baker.edu/ ? I'm thinking of doing a 2 year Associate of computer science degree with the Cisco option. I feel a degree might give me a better chance to break back into IT....

D-boy

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Before going any farther, I suggest that you go to http://www.chea.org/institutions/index.cfm and check to see if the schools that you're considering are Accredited by an acceptable organization.

Secondly, I don't think you can ever go wrong with Cisco knowledge.

And, a third thing, most ads I see for IT department positions do carry at least an associates degree requirement.

I can't see anything bad about it.

Believe me, 27 is young! But it's mature enough to know that you really want that education, and mature enough that you have a very good chance of completing the studies.

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    I went back at 26 and just finished my associates in december. I was hired into a cisco job 3 weeks before the end of the quarter based on the recommendation of my teacher. The degree is not only valuable for job seeking (make sure you're picking up certs along the way as well), but sometimes just meeting the right folks in class can be a big help. Alot of companies look to the tech colleges for their entry level hires. I wholeheartedly recommend going to school, but I'd recommend taking face to face if your schedule has that much flexibility. I'm going to have to go online for my bachelor's, I don't have a choice anymore, but I'm very glad I arranged the last two years of my life around school and drove myself to finish.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    Thank you both for your advise Janmike & Drakonblayde! I'm going to make sure I go somewhere accredited by an acceptable organization. I don't wanna waste 2 years getting a degree and it dosen't hold any weight because of not going to an accredited school. Well I'm still working on my MCSE at the moment, hope I can do both at the same time, once I get enrolled somewhere... :D

D-boy
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The community college I attended gave me credit for some of the certification exams I had completed. Between the exam credit and transfer credit, I was half way done when I started.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Yeah, my school grants exemption credit for cert exams as well, with what you've already got, you can probably skip most of the basic computer courses.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    It may not be of much help, but the college I attend has various papers hanging up about the Baker Online college. Don't let that be the deciding factor, I just wanted to let you know.
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    I do not know anything about the college in question, but I can say that getting your degree can only help you. It is never too late to go back to school. I decided to go back right around the time I turned 30 ( a year ago)....With the few credits I already had, evaluation of my military experience, certifications/experience, and several CLEP tests.....I will be finishing my BSIT degree this year and moving on to a Masters Degree. All I can say is do your research. Make sure the school is accredited...Make sure it if flexible (this makes it easier for you to stay in school when things come up....and they will)...Also, look for schools that will give you the max for what you have already done. And last but not least....If you plan on moving on to another school for another degree, later, make sure the credits or degree will transfer or get you into future programs.....I hope this helps..
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    stndrd_123stndrd_123 Member Posts: 113
    I actually went to the Muskegon Baker Campus. I only went for 3 semesters so I did not get into any of the good/hard computer courses, but I was very happy with the place. I will be going back in the spring. It shows they are accredited here: http://www.bakercollegeonline.com/index.cfm/degreeonline-facts .

-Brian