LINUX bloging servers

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
I have decided that I really should start a blog..

I have server, i have network, so thought the best thing would be to host this myself. (what better way to learn than do it all your self :) )

So can any one suggest good blogging software for a debian based linux server set up.

I know there are loads out there but not wanting to go through them all and test which one is the best, I just want a good all-round solution that I can bolt on to my existing server (DevilWAH's Web PAge) to provide blogging abilities.

Cheers

Aaron
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    If you are running PHP in your Apache install, about the best two I've dealt with are the big ones, Wordpress and Drupal. Drupal is a bit harder to get up and running initially, but I like the modular way it does things. Wordpress is easier to get going, and I never had any problems with it, just didn't learn much doing it either.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 for Wordpress.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I seen a few sites with word press, but the all seem a little bland.

but as there's no real hurry I don't see why I could not try Drupal. think i will look it up now.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    WordPress › Free WordPress Themes

Also, while you can use Drupal for a blog, it's really designed to be a CMS. I tried it out for awhile but went back to WordPress*.

*Unfortunately, it hasn't helped in regards to me actually posting anything...
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Also, while you can use Drupal for a blog, it's really designed to be a CMS. I tried it out for awhile but went back to WordPress*.

Same here.

Whether a blog looks bland or not is up to the theme, not the software the powers it. I would venture to say that WordPress is the most popular blogging software and is likely to be the easiest to get started with and have the widest selection of themes and plugins.
    ;) having looked at the web pages of both I had decided to go with wordpress in the first instance.

hopefully i can get this up and running in the next few days.

Cheers for the ideas guys
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    One thing you should make sure that you do is stay on top of the patches/updates for wordpress. Over the last two years they have been the victim of many automated scanning/exploit attacks. They are pretty good about patching things quickly....but you'll have to apply them. icon_wink.gif
    One thing you should make sure that you do is stay on top of the patches/updates for wordpress. Over the last two years they have been the victim of many automated scanning/exploit attacks. They are pretty good about patching things quickly....but you'll have to apply them. icon_wink.gif

That goes for any blog, CMS, forum, etc. software, not just WordPress. Do a search on www.exploit-db.org (exploits) or CVE - Search the CVE Web Site (vulnerabilities) for any package and you'll see numerous results.
    Cheers guys :)

as you can see wordpress all went smoothly

cheers for the pointers, now jsut got to post stuff on it lol
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks good so far. I think I may see a little bit of a bias towards Linux on your blog..lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    LOL that was just some links when I was having to lean linux. i going to move it all ove to word press in the next few days.

Been loving finally getting to grips with linux but CISCO where my heart is at (or more core networking)
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I'll be giving an eye out for when you get up and running. Wordpress is the best IMHO, I use it for a news site I run (RackRelated.com) and it is very easy to add and change as you need with basic PHP skills ;)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
    If any one is board and has a few min to spare I be great full to think what you think of my blogging skills?

Writing is not some thing that comes natural to me so I am sure there are things I can do better. but it any one has any Comments I would be great full :)
    Liked the first blog entry. It was a bit over my head as I haven't gotten into Cisco yet. I did learn a few things though.
    By the way your link for motivational quotes didn't work.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Liking your blog. Are the images you inserted not working or is the problem on my end?
    ahh i moved the page so i think i broke some links. it was devilwah.com/wordpress now its stright in the root. i will update links shortly. they still show ok for me, but the link shows they point to a non existance page.....? must be a casheing issue. cheers for pointing it out.
    Ok all done I hope, let me know any others. I now have a system in place to alert me to broken links, so hopefully in future I will see them before they are an issue.

Cheers for pointing them out.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What are the specs of the box you are using?
    dell optiplex 620,

3.5gig I think with 1gig ram (desk top machine) running Unbuntu server.

so nothing special, if it takes of I will get an old dell server we have laying around but it seems fast enough at the moment and the utilisation is low. I have a wordpress caching to improve speed but too be honest it does not improve the speed massivenessly as the site is stil quite small.
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    dell optiplex 620,

3.5gig I think with 1gig ram (desk top machine) running Unbuntu server.

Cool. What are you using to monitor that box and also is that box dedicated for this purpose? I am thinking of migrating from blogger to word press and having a similar setup to yours. I think I actually have an old optiplex as well lol
    At the moment it is unmonitored, I am just redoing the network it runs on at work. Once that's done I will be using another little linux box I have that runs the DHCP/DNS and network services to monitor it all. (and have one of the routers monitor that box)

When you say monitor I assume you mean how do I know if the server falls over. for things like CPU and memory I jsut used command line commands to see what's going on.

I really like wordpress, I am not a linux expert so it helps getting it up and running quickly and theres loads of plugins to play with.

I run a few things on the box but only to play with, again if it grows big it will get its dedicated server as needed. mostly it is left to is self to run this and as a TFTP/FTP server for my cisco lab
    playing with these huh? 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know

That's cool. I was just curious. I wonder how difficult moving from blogger to wordpress will be. Hopefully not too bad. The blog looks good man.
    All I can say is cheers for every one suggesting word press!!!

So easy to use and so far not had to lean a bit of PHP :) there's a plug in for every thing it seems, even convert posts to downloadable PDF's. :)

And all running on a old throw away PC :) I don't know what I will do when I move jobs? May be I will tuck it away in a coms cupboard and manage it remotely while no one knows ;)