Options

Online Server Space

joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
Do any of you all know of any place where you can get some online server space so that you can install things such as win 2008, exchange, linux and etc to practice on? Reason I ask for "online" server space is so that it can be accessed from anywhere not just at home like your home labs.....or better yet, is there a way to make your home labs accessiable over the internet without using VPN? Thx in advance!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That'll probably run you $10/mo for a *nix system and $30-50/mo for a Windows system. That's expensive. You could just tunnel anything over SSH to all your home systems. Just have SSH listening on a different port for each system.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

Hamachi + VNC is also a great option.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    joey74055 wrote: »
    or better yet, is there a way to make your home labs accessiable over the internet without using VPN? Thx in advance!

Of course, open your router firewall to the internet or "better yet" to a specific subnet where you'll be accessing it from so every Tom, Dick, and Harry can't try to log in as well.

What kind of setup do you have? Don't mind helping you...
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    dynamik wrote: »
    That'll probably run you $10/mo for a *nix system and $30-50/mo for a Windows system. That's expensive. You could just tunnel anything over SSH to all your home systems. Just have SSH listening on a different port for each system.

Logmein is free for windows. I use it almost every day.

They have paid versions, but i've not really seen any reason to use them. They also have an android app that is absolutely bitchin, but does cost 30$ (one time)
  • Options
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Of course, open your router firewall to the internet or "better yet" to a specific subnet where you'll be accessing it from so every Tom, Dick, and Harry can't try to log in as well.

What kind of setup do you have? Don't mind helping you...

Thanks, right now I just have my cable internet going into a cable modem, then to a Linksys wireless router. My servers and PC are connected to the Linksys. I've got some Cisco routers and switches but I have just recently moved and I haven't had the chance to set them back up.
  • Options
    Logmein is free for windows. I use it almost every day.

They have paid versions, but i've not really seen any reason to use them. They also have an android app that is absolutely bitchin, but does cost 30$ (one time)

Does it also host Windows and Linux servers at another facility that he can have administrative control over? If not, how is that relevant to what I posted? That was clearly the part of his question that I was addressing with those numbers.
  • Options
    joey74055 wrote: »
    Thanks, right now I just have my cable internet going into a cable modem, then to a Linksys wireless router. My servers and PC are connected to the Linksys. I've got some Cisco routers and switches but I have just recently moved and I haven't had the chance to set them back up.

In linksys, it's probably still called port forwarding, so look for a tab/section on that.

Example: if you had a windows server @ 192.168.1.55 that u wanted to Remote Desktop into, u would put in port 3389 to forward to 192.168.1.55. Then, when u initiate RDP from outside your home to the public IP you have at home, the linksys would connect you to RDP on 192.168.1.55.
  • Options
    In linksys, it's probably still called port forwarding, so look for a tab/section on that.

Example: if you had a windows server @ 192.168.1.55 that u wanted to Remote Desktop into, u would put in port 3389 to forward to 192.168.1.55. Then, when u initiate RDP from outside your home to the public IP you have at home, the linksys would connect you to RDP on 192.168.1.55.

Ok, cool. Thanks for this info! Do you put in any port or does it need to be port 3389. Is port 3389 the default port for Remote Deskop?
  • Options
    Yeah, default port for RDP is 3389. You have to put in the specific port to do port forwarding, so if you want to forward SSH you would do port 22, for example.
  • Options
    Yeah, default port for RDP is 3389. You have to put in the specific port to do port forwarding, so if you want to forward SSH you would do port 22, for example.

Ok, great! Thanks for the help :)
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Make sure you have a good (or strong) password too on your servers.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    dynamik wrote: »
    Does it also host Windows and Linux servers at another facility that he can have administrative control over? If not, how is that relevant to what I posted? That was clearly the part of his question that I was addressing with those numbers.

I read his original post as him wanting an online server at a third-party location or the abiility to access his home lab from the internet.
  • Options
    I read his original post as him wanting an online server at a third-party location or the abiility to access his home lab from the internet.

Which is exactly why I said he could alternatively tunnel over SSH since the pricing would probably be steep for what he wanted. I don't understand why quoted me and reiterated LogMeIn was free. I was responding to his question, not your recommendation for LogMeIn.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□

If you had a crapy trend net like mine it would be under the access tab and you would choose special AP. I had to do it just to enable RDP'ing to my wife and daughters computers.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Make sure you have a good (or strong) password too on your servers.

Agreed. I always set up a rule to only allow the subnets I'll connect from, so OP if you can do that on your linksys, u should.
  • Options
    I travel, so that doesn't work for me, but I <3 SSH key-based authentication.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks guys for all your advice!