Volume Licensing

JamesShieldsJamesShields Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm rather new in IT and I was wondering if someone could tell me about Volume licensing. Lets say a new startup company has 200 PC's. Do they just purchase a single Windows CD (XP for example) and 1 VLK? Does the same hold true for MS Office or any of those anti-virus software?

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That was always my impression of how it worked. But I will be eagerly waiting for an official answer.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Licensing is complicated. Always talk to your MS rep to get the latest information on licensing because it changes fairly often.
    Microsoft Volume Licensing Home Page

That being said, Volume Licensing isn't the same for every product. When you put a desktop OS on your VL agreement, you aren't buying a full license. You are buying an upgrade license that upgrades the OS license that came with the PC from the vendor from an OEM license to a VL license.

When you buy a CAL for Exchange or SharePoint, that is the license - no weird upgrading. Typically clients roll these licenses together into some type of agreement with MS such as a Select or Enterprise agreement. An EA CAL can include every MS product, including operating systems.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    OP, are you trying to do something specific, or just asking for knowledge? I can find some info for you and let you know of any current special offers.
  • JamesShieldsJamesShields Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    OP, are you trying to do something specific, or just asking for knowledge? I can find some info for you and let you know of any current special offers.

Just for knowledge. :D But thanks for all the feedback.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Microsoft licensing is a pain for every company of a sufficient size. I work for a college, and it's no exception, but at least everything is 90% cheaper than it is for regular companies. icon_cool.gif

I really can't blame MS for the complexity, though. Everyone wants licensing to be easy, but everyone also wants it to be flexible, so the result is something that is in between, or neither easy or flexible if you want to look at it like that. icon_wink.gif
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV