Options

CCENT and NET+

simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
If I want to pursue CCENT and completely new to networking, should I get Net+ first? or CCENT is basic enough? I just don't want to waste the time studying net+ if not needed. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    i'd say they're about the same level with the CCENT focusing on Cisco's way of thinking. I don't think the Net+ is a waste of time as I see Net+ mentioned in job posting way more than CCENT but the CCENT is a good first step towards the CCNA. In your situation I would try to knock out the Net+ before the end of the year so it will be for life and move onto the Cisco stuff.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Truthfully, you could do either one and have a good shot at success, if you have good self study material and are motivated to learn.

That said, I'm in somewhat the same place, and I'm finding that Net+ lays a fairly good foundation that makes some aspect of CCENT easier to understand. I think both are worth pursuing, personally. There is enough foundational information to make it worth your time to do Net+, and of course the CCENT is the best way for a beginner to go in tackling the CCNA (rather than taking the composite exam with no experience).

Anyway, just my opinion, but more experienced members may have a different perspective.
  • Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    IMO, the net+ is not needed. Just go straight for the CCENT or CCNA.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    wirerat wrote: »
    IMO, the net+ is not needed. Just go straight for the CCENT or CCNA.

I'm not sure I agree 100% with this statement. The A+ and Net+ are recognized as entry level certifications by employers and can help get a foot in the door.

Obtaining the CCNA with no experience and no degree could actually make it harder to obtain a job. You could kind of be caught in between where employers don't want to hire you for an entry level support position because they think you will jump ship the first chance you get and it's unlikely to find many employers looking for someone to manage cisco equipment willing to take a chance on a CCNA with no experience.

The network+ lays a very good foundation for the CCENT and the OP should have enough time to obtain it before the end of the year and have it for life.

edit: I noticed in the other thread that you are close to taking the A+ so I think you have time to finish that off and the Net+. I only skimmed the other thread but have you thought about trying to talk to the managers in your current position about getting some experience on the IT side of things? Yo may take a pay cut searching out entry level positions in IT but of course if you think you will enjoy it more than it's worth it! I would say get that A+ and NET+ and in the process try to get some experience on the IT side at work and go ahead and start putting in for some entry level positions. After you have the Net+ you will have a head start on moving on to the CCENT. Of course if you are interested in programming or databases the CCENT may not be the direction you want to go after the comptia stuff.
  • Options
    dairou18dairou18 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    Obtaining the CCNA with no experience and no degree could actually make it harder to obtain a job. You could kind of be caught in between where employers don't want to hire you for an entry level support position because they think you will jump ship the first chance you get and it's unlikely to find many employers looking for someone to manage cisco equipment willing to take a chance on a CCNA with no experience.

Unfortunately I'm finding this to be true... icon_mad.gif
    I'm thinking about getting the Network+, but it just seems like such a waste.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    dairou18 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm finding this to be true... icon_mad.gif
    I'm thinking about getting the Network+, but it just seems like such a waste.

learning/expanding your knowledge and/or having one more thing on your resume to potentially help you get hired is never a waste.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    simtech wrote: »
    completely new to networking
    The CCENT is the "entry level" certification for Cisco -- or at least that's the marketing....

While we'd like to believe that Cisco networks can exist just for the beauty and elegance of a well designed and implemented network, the truth is there are probably some boxes (Servers, PCs, Macs) and users (ick) that justified building that elegant Cisco network in the first place.

If you're a complete network noob I'd say it's worth the time and effort to cover the Network+ material so you have an idea about the things those boxes and users poop into the Cisco Network. Cisco may be positioning Cisco Certified Networkers as more than Internet Plumbers, but the truth is there's still lots of "plumbing work" to be done.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with Mike. The two tests actually complement each other from a knowledge standpoint. I did both because I was completely new to the networking side of this as well and wanted a strong foundation. I studied for and took the CCENT first and then went for Net+ within weeks after; test wise I found the Net+ gives you the "A+ feel" of networking specifics when it comes to speeds, cabling, etc. This is all a part of the CCENT/CCNA curriculum but the Net+ I feel is broader.

Around my neck of the woods (DC/VA/MD), I don't always see the Net+ being a requirement for private businesses but I do see an "A+ or higher" type description (ie. HR might not really understand that Net+ builds on A+ lol). From a financial standpoint, it wouldnt be too big of a hit to take this especially if you're a student; this also serves as a lifetime cert (unless your defense agency/company dictates otherwise; CE program) which ain't half bad :).

The CCNA with no experience situation is also a rough place to be in but as some people have said the A+ and/or Net+ combo may be the thing you need to get that crucial step in the door.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses, folks. I think I'll take the net+. I just passed the 701 portion of A+ today, so will continue to net+ after taking 702 in a week or so.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Thanks for the responses, folks. I think I'll take the net+. I just passed the 701 portion of A+ today, so will continue to net+ after taking 702 in a week or so.

congrats on the pass today and good luck on the second half!
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the 701 man.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone..
  • Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    Congrats on the pass icon_cheers.gif