Passed CCENT with an 862 !

Should I move onto ICND2 or Net+ ?

Comments

• Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Passed CCENT with an 862 !

Should I move onto ICND2 or Net+ ?

Congrats on the pass!

I would say that's hard to answer not knowing any other information. Are you working in IT now? Is this your first certification? Do you have a degree or any college in an IT program?

In general I would say if you have the CCENT there's not much reason to go back to the Net+. On the other hand if you aren't already working in IT and do not have any experience then it might be a good idea to get it while you can keep it for life. You should be able to prepare the Net+ in a very short period.

A little more about your background and what you want to do might enable someone to give you some better advice.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Where are you in your career? What's your experience? Do you need another certification to fill up your resume? Do you need the Net+ as part of a Microsoft Elective? Do you want to get the Net+ while it's still a "lifetime certification?"

Study for the Network+ should go faster now that you have your CCENT -- but you're still going to have to put in some study time. If you don't have lots of IT or Networking experience it's probably worth doing.

If you don't need the "resume filler" or need it as part of an elective for something else and you're hoping to get in the Cisco side of a network somewhere, then the Network+ may be made "redundant" by the CCNA.

But if you don't mind spending the money, I'd say do the Network+ now.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Local NativeLocal Native Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!

I would say that's hard to answer not knowing any other information. Are you working in IT now? Is this your first certification? Do you have a degree or any college in an IT program?

In general I would say if you have the CCENT there's not much reason to go back to the Net+. On the other hand if you aren't already working in IT and do not have any experience then it might be a good idea to get it while you can keep it for life. You should be able to prepare the Net+ in a very short period.

A little more about your background and what you want to do might enable someone to give you some better advice.

Thanks for the replies!

I have a bachelor of science in Engineering, and currently work as an Engineering Supervisor for a small manufacturing company. We have a really small IT dept (about 6 people located at Corporate and no one near my facility), so I've led multiple IT-Networking initiatives at this company. Looking to transition into making Network Engineering my full time job (its almost a full time hobby! .... just has to beat out basketball to get all my time).

I'm in my mid 20s, so although I don't want to step back into entry level IT work, I could still bite the bullet if i had to. I don't have kids or anything, so an income hit would suck, but ... as long as in the long run I'll be happier (and wealthier)

I'm thinking I should just go for CCNA.

Time to go enjoy my passing grade with a celebratory Double Down @ KFC. I hear this thing causes heart-attacks.
  • Options
    AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How long did you study for? Congrats!
  • Options
    Local NativeLocal Native Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Amco wrote: »
    How long did you study for? Congrats!

Thanks, about 2 weeks of proper, dedicated studying.

Just a note, I've been using Cisco IOS, on and off, for some projects at work for the last 6 months.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Thanks for the replies!

I have a bachelor of science in Engineering, and currently work as an Engineering Supervisor for a small manufacturing company. We have a really small IT dept (about 6 people located at Corporate and no one near my facility), so I've led multiple IT-Networking initiatives at this company. Looking to transition into making Network Engineering my full time job (its almost a full time hobby! .... just has to beat out basketball to get all my time).

I'm in my mid 20s, so although I don't want to step back into entry level IT work, I could still bite the bullet if i had to. I don't have kids or anything, so an income hit would suck, but ... as long as in the long run I'll be happier (and wealthier)

I'm thinking I should just go for CCNA.

Time to go enjoy my passing grade with a celebratory Double Down @ KFC. I hear this thing causes heart-attacks.

With that background it wouldn't seem like an absolute necessity to obtain the Net+ but it certainly isn't going to hurt your chances at moving more into the networking side of things.

If you decided to do the Net+ it would mean a relatively small investment of time and money considering you should be able to get a discount voucher and you can probably get away with just one resource to go over the objectives where you would be weakest because of the lack of coverage on the CCENT.

It would suck to decide in 6 months that you should have gotten the net+ because at that point the cert is only good for 3 years. If you do it now you have it for life. I wouldn't blame ya for going on to the ICND2 either though.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Either one would be great to go for now. You could probably crank out Net+ and then go straight into ICND2 studies. I think it would be best to get to ICND2 as soon as you can before you start getting rusty. :D