Options

Visual Basic

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Anybody know it? How difficult is it to pick up (self study)? Anybody read any good books on it? I am having some scheduling conflicts with school and long story short, I might be able to take a class 100% on my own (I don't have to show up for class at all, just email my homework in) BUT it means that I will have to learn visual basic on my own.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's definitely one of the easier programming languages to learn; I don't think you'll have any problems with it.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm in a similar situation, although I don't know if it will be visual basic or not. Speaking of which, I should probably find out if there is a book to buy, class starts next week!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    It's definitely one of the easier programming languages to learn; I don't think you'll have any problems with it.

It didn't look too bad but I wanted to see what someone else thought. Basically I have to talk the CIS chair into letting me do the class this way since I moved and they don't offer the class at the campus close to me (even thought they USE to icon_rolleyes.gif, and they didn't update their scheduling website to reflect this icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif) .

Devilsbane wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation, although I don't know if it will be visual basic or not. Speaking of which, I should probably find out if there is a book to buy, class starts next week!

When will you know? It would be cool to study this with someone :)
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    When will you know? It would be cool to study this with someone :)

Well I just looked up the book that I need to buy. Since it is a Java book, I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that it is a Java class. Both good and bad for me, I did 3 years of Java in highschool.

Well I don't really know if you can count the 3rd year. I was a senior and spent 90% of class time playing a sega genesis emulator.... but I think I'll still be alright.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Well I just looked up the book that I need to buy. Since it is a Java book, I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that it is a Java class. Both good and bad for me, I did 3 years of Java in highschool.

Well I don't really know if you can count the 3rd year. I was a senior and spent 90% of class time playing a sega genesis emulator.... but I think I'll still be alright.

That's probably a good indication. I have to take a Java class if I add on the Software development track (actually 2 of them) but I am not sure about doing that yet.
  • Options
    That's probably a good indication. I have to take a Java class if I add on the Software development track (actually 2 of them) but I am not sure about doing that yet.

Funny thing is, a visual basic class was required for my associates degree. I went to the first class and listened to this guy drone on about for loops and if/then statements that I almost gouged my eyes out. I told the guy my situation and he agreed that with 3 years of java this class would be a joke. So I went to my department head and pitched the idea to him. I was able to substitute an engineering class (that we did a lot of programming in pbasic) and a computer science class (that worked with both java and pbasic) in its place. The dean signed off and I got my degree.

Now transferring to my bachelor's school, this switcheroo wasn't good enough, at least not without a fight. And I lack the motivation to start this fight again and figured that I would just take the class. If they are so determined that I know it, I might as well just do it. Well now this time around, its Java... What a mess.

Oh well, I plan to be full swing in MCSE so having an easy class will be a good thing.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    VB is cake, and a lot of fun too. Once you get the syntax down you can do quite a bit. Having some .Net knowledge goes a long way.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    VB is cake, and a lot of fun too. Once you get the syntax down you can do quite a bit. Having some .Net knowledge goes a long way.

Probably not if you want to get away from MS support entirely lol. But yea in the near term this should be of some value.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Probably not if you want to get away from MS support entirely lol. But yea in the near term this should be of some value.
    You can't avoid "the dark side" forever..lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    After Basic, VB was the next language I learned and then moved onto Pascal.

VB isn't that bad a language to learn, you should be able to do it with no issues.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    VB was the first language that I learned as well, it's easy to learn and fun to play around with. I made an app that was a GUI for the messenger service for XP, unfortunately though they discontinued the messenger service ever since Vista came out . . .
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »

VB isn't that bad a language to learn, you should be able to do it with no issues.

Thats quite funny. I started with Pascal and then moved onto Java. I then went back to pbasic for some robotics programming.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    phantasm wrote: »

How different is VB from Basic. I did a little Basic a long while back.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.