Options

resume assistance?

brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone would be so kind as to read and offer a critique of my resume. It's been a while since I've been in the job market but I'm getting ready to relocate to Houston, likely without anything immediately lined up, to be with my SO. Any input would be appreciated, but I'm really looking for input on the content; if anything has worked for you, please share it as I could use all the help I can get. Thanks again, and I look forward to your responses.
Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM

Comments

• Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    looks good and it looks like you have a decent amount of work experience and quals icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    two things that stuck out to me - you anticipate your master's degree being finished in Dec 2010, which is the same time you finish your AAS in accounting?

and the part about the housing, maybe I am just really tired, but that looks confusing and I am not sure what you mean - maybe say 'currently in XYZ, willing to relocate' or something similar?
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's not a bad resume at all, I would make the following changes:

> Cut out the technical proficiencies section.
    > You MUST have the certifications and education after the summary part.
    > Rename Summary to Profile or something else, but not summary.
    > I wonder why you havent elaborated on what you did before your Desktop Engineer gig.

Fill the resume with what you have actually done with the OS's and software, not just their names.

Here's what I have in my resume in the Profile section at the very beginning:

Skilled Systems Engineer with MCITP, MCSA, ITIL and multiple MCTS certifications, Offering Advanced Skills and Record of Consistent, High-Quality Performance in Critical Servers, Systems Administration and Problem Resolution Activities

The profile part should just be a very concise summary of what you are and what you can offer, IMO.

Just my $.02
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    Thanks for the feedback guys, the AAS will be completed at the same time as the MS, it is an effort to wrap up some old accounting credits into a degree prior to the relocation. Figured it couldn't hurt.

What I was saying with the housing is, I'm still in my current state but my lease is ending early Sept., and my GF already has a house in town where I will be moving to. Just wasn't sure how to word that.

I'll be working on Essendon's suggestions tonight.

Thanks again.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not a professional resume writer, but a few things I would do if it were mine:

• Shorten the summary, drop the housing part
    • Move Certs closer to the top
    • Move education closer to top as well as shorten it. I'd drop the GPA's, the accounting mention, and the BS. (If you're almost done with your masters, they know you have a BS)
    But remember to always keep at least one backup copy of the original, and never be afraid or too lazy to tailor a resume to a specific job.

I have one that is roughly 8 pages long. It's my entire work history and very detailed. Whenever a job would pop up that I wanted to go for, I just pull relevant information from this "master copy" and essentially write a new resume for every position I want to try for.