Options

Anyone go through this type of interview?

GaryLeungGaryLeung Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Had an interview for an IT support level 1 position. Initially spoke to the HR person, then she left..next came in the Database admin guy..we spoke briefly..then he left..then the help desk/system admin fella came in last and we talked. Anyone experience this before?

As for the interview, I bombed on the VPN question icon_cry.gif but got through the other questions they had (User says PC is slow, what are your first troubleshooting steps).

Should I send thank you letters to all 3 people? Just the HR person?
Chance favors the prepared mind - Louis Pasteur

Comments

• Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    If you are able to get each of their names, email addresses, etc.. It would not hurt to send each of them one.

As for the way you met each person, I think it was for them to:

1. Get a feel of who you were, and see if you would fit in.
    2. Run different questions by you so they could get a gauge of your knowledge.

Don't worry about the VPN question. They may see that as a opportunity to train you their way.

Good luck!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Do you know which one is the manager that you would be working for? I would send the thank you to that one. If you don't know you may want to ask more questions when in an interview.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was part of an interview for a SQL/Sys Admin position for two people. (I am not management [yet...]). Both people found me through the Online Directory and sent me a thank you.

Personally, I would only send a "thank you" to the person/people who will give a thumbs up to the hiring. The other folks will just give their input on a yay/nay.

My last interview I was interviewed by 4 people. My coworker and three management. I sent a thank you e-mail to the person who contacted me (future boss) and his boss. That was it. Now I'm 16k away from six-figures.... :D
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I've had every interview you can think of.

In this situation with it only being 3 people, send them all an email. Address it to all 3 and send it off.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    undomiel wrote: »
    Do you know which one is the manager that you would be working for? I would send the thank you to that one. If you don't know you may want to ask more questions when in an interview.

There is no harm is sending it to all of them. Even someone lower on the totem pole might bring up your name.
    garv221 wrote: »
    Address it to all 3 and send it off.

I would not do this. How rude does this look? This guy didn't even have enough ambition to send individual emails. That is why a handwritten note is always valued more than a quick email, it requires time and thought.
    At the very minimum, send separate emails and thank each person individually. Bring up something that you talked to them about. Whether it is a topic that interests you, or some advice. Personalize it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    My last interview was exactly like this. First spoke with HR, then had an interview with the Network Engineer, then right after, one with one of the people over the NOC. And to top it off, finished with the VP of Operations. Kind of nerve racking, but hey, I start the 30th! icon_thumright.gif
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    jahsoul wrote: »
    My last interview was exactly like this. First spoke with HR, then had an interview with the Network Engineer, then right after, one with one of the people over the NOC. And to top it off, finished with the VP of Operations. Kind of nerve racking, but hey, I start the 30th! icon_thumright.gif

Congrats and good luck! :)
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    When we get new potentials to interview we all get to interview them after our boss does his filter out. Two groups of 4 people asking you questions.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    My first tech job I had an interview with 2 first level managers, a floor supervisor, the HR lady, and the CIO. It was entry level.
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Congrats and good luck! :)
    Thanks!!! :D
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study: