Options

What kind of degree am I looking for? Health IT

brwrightbrwright Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am having trouble finding the degree that I want to pursue. I will be done with my Associate's in Computer Info Systems this spring. I was planning WGU's BSIT. What I really want to do is work with a hospital's computers and software. I have looked into Health Informatics (Also WGU) but that seems to be more about medical records. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't need anything special to work on hospital computer systems. They have data networks just like everyone else. I've pentested several hospitals and work on a healthcare network. Just focus on security and data protection and you'll be set. Hospitals get hit with FAT HIPAA fines all the time and the only way to limit them is to actually protect data.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't worry about Health Informatics unless you are already experienced and want to later go for a niche. At this point, you need something more general that way you have options and can get experience.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    brwrightbrwright Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your input!

I am not sold on WGU yet. I will post my concerns in the WGU thread.

Are there any other schools that include certifications? That is main reason that I am considering WGU.

What are some other reputable online schools for IT?
  • Options
    bwbecraftbwbecraft Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ITIL Foundations V3 would be another good start. A couple enterprise level Hospitals I have worked in followed this method religiously.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    IT in the health industry isnt much different than IT anywhere else except for HIPAA. When building your foundation, it doesnt need to be specifically for the medical feild. However, one thing you may look into, is support or implementation for medical/dental/orthodontic software. There are oodles of companies out there.