Options

Display resolution Problem with Redhat 9.0

viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey,

I'm a n00b at Linux and I'm just getting into it. I have installed it on one of my test PC's and got it working with no problems, but the only thing is that I can not get the right resolution for my monitor. I have a 17" monitor and the output is at 640x480. I have checked the display settings and everytime I change the resolution to 1024x768 nothing happens. My desktop is too big. Has anyone run into this problems before???
CCNP Security - DONE!
CCNP R&S - In Progress...
CCIE Security - Future...

Comments

• Options
    fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
    More information may be needed to fix your problem, ie what video card do you have? What does your XF86Config look like? Is there any log errors? By default if X can't load with your settings it will attempt 640x480 as a last resort.

You mention using RH9. If you have intergrated video some of the earlier distibution had problem allocating more then 1 Mb for video. The best you can get is 1024x768 at 256 color. If your running a newer NVidia card you may try installing their unified driver.

Look in /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see what errors you're receiving. If you have the monitor specs verify that they match what is in the /etc/X11/XF86Config.

I usually advise new users to download the latest relesae from Mandrake. It comes with everything and the installer is easier to follow.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ok, thanks for the responce. I will go home later and see what errors the log has.

The videocard is intergrated (Intel 16MB). I get the error "XServer can not load do you want to troubleshoot?" Then I hit ok and it brings me to the GUI in 640x480. icon_scratch.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yup, and that troubleshooting mode is just like in windows Safe Mode - loads standard drivers only.
    I would check that it is exactly your graphics card listed, if not do some research and you will probably find a valid alternative. I must admit I had a similar problem, but it was caused by monitor settings as the one I selected as being closest to mine was not one capable of the required resolution and refresh rate.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    try xconfigurator from the CLI to configure the display. redhat wasnt too well on probing display related hardware. slackware better.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.