Options

Had a phone screen with HR today, interview advice needed

Hi all,

I applied for a position last month doing tier 2 server and desktop support in a help desk. I currently do tier 3 support for CRM Software. I got an e-mail today from HR and they screened me this afternoon. I think I got all the technical questions right, and she said she would let me know something by Thursday in terms of an interview.

The first thing she mentioned was salary which is a little less than what I make now, but the work would be easier to transfer into a future job. The last thing she asked was if I'd be available for an interview Friday afternoon. She was going to talk to the hiring manager and let me know if they want to bring me in. Does anyone have any advice for the interview and ideas how I could bring my current skills t the interview and show how I would be good for the position?

I don't have all the qualifications, but I do have a willingness and the ability to learn. I've gotten my MCSA and am working on the MCSE.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just be relaxed and confident. You're probably overqualified for the job so you should be OK.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    TrainingDazeTrainingDaze Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1.) First do your homework on the company, and use this knowledge to help explain why you are excited to work for THEIR company.

Are they in the news? any recent facts or figures that make their company a selling point? Are they working/leading the field in a technology or system that you are passionate about?

Use any or all of these to show your interest in them, a big HR complaint is that applicants don't take their time to understand the company.

2.) Be prepared with stories that show EXPERIENCE for all of the most commonly asked questions (i.e. describe a time when you used your analytical skills to improve a process, have you ever dealt with a difficult person etc etc..) Their are many lists online covering all of the interview questions.....read over them and come up with stories in your head that exemplify how you excel in these situations and show the CHARACTER traits that employers find attractive. Showing up prepared not only gives you the advantage of thinking "quick on your feet" but it also mitigates the chances of being blindsided by a question you were unprepared for.

3.) Always be positive! Never make any negative comment, remark, story or whatever. They are looking for someone who is enthusiastic and positive.

4.) If you followed the above then you can relax and be confident because you have prepared well and put in the hard work before you even stepped foot into their offices. The actual interview will be the easy part because you've ran through it in your head so many times by the point.

Good Luck!!! :)
  • Options
    willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    Thanks for the advice all. I heard back this morning and they wanted to make sure I'd be okay with a pay drop. It sounds like the interview might be Friday.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hope taking a pay cut is worth it.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I hope taking a pay cut is worth it.

Me too. I do something very specific right now, support for one application so my future career is limited. This move would get me into something more broad.
  • Options
    I figured I'd update this. I didn't get the job. They were looking for one first shift person which was probably an internal promotion and two third shift people. I currently work first shift so it was pointless for me to accept third shift. It also ended up being a desktop support job. I found two more that are more of what I'm looking for. We'll see if I hear from them. I'm continuing to study for the MCSE and will take the exam in two weeks.
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    Keep at it, you'll get there, and maybe this is a good thing. You didn't sound like you were really excited about the opportunity, so maybe that's telling.

Definitely get the cert you're working on, it can only pay off somewhere along the line.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    willhi1979 wrote: »
    Me too. I do something very specific right now, support for one application so my future career is limited. This move would get me into something more broad.

I'll trade you my helpdesk support tier 2 server deskside support job for your specialized CRM job. I would be honored.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I'll trade you my helpdesk support tier 2 server deskside support job for your specialized CRM job. I would be honored.

Ha ha, I don't think they'd like that. I'm hoping to get into sys admin work then security.