Did I waste money on this CCNA class.

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
My community college is a "Regional Cisco Networking Academy" or so the coordinator said. It's two classes in the fall and two in the spring. Did I waste $800 this semester taking these two courses? Should I have just bought a lab(my own switches)? I thought it was to my advantage because at this lab at the community college they have A LOT of new cisco switches and routers. I can visit the lab very frequently too. Plus if i have any questions, I can just ask the instructor.
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• neverdyeneverdye Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can't say for sure - but I would think it would be worth your money. If you get the same material as other classes, then you saved about $3k. Just went through the GlobalKnowledge bootcamp, and it was awesome - granted work payed for it, not me.
    Next on the list : Security+
    CCNA
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Any education is usually not a waste of money, and that seems like a fair amount to pay. I don't think you wasted your money. Look into GNS3 if you want a free option for routing labs, if you have access to IOS.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    A lot of community colleges do the cisco netcad classes as credit classes. I did that at my community colleged. Benifit is that you get the book material through a website included, access to equipment, and an instructer led learning environment. I would say that you probably didn't waste your money.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did the CCNA Cisco Network Academy to get access to the Lab equipment and get back into an "academic learning mode" since while I had been continually learning and upgrading my skills over the years, I hadn't taken a test since college.

I then shifted to self-study since the CCNP courses weren't offered at my Academy and I'd have had to travel 2 counties over to the Regional Academy to take the course.

I thought they were worth it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Having gone through the courses and getting my CCNA, I definitely believe it was worth it. The program at my local community is ever expanding and is currently including CCSP curriculum.
  • EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    Network acad classes are probably the best classes you can take to learn cisco. now having said that here in so cal those same 4 class cost a grand total of $5 for "materials"