Options

Online Master degrees in INFOSEC (B&M list)

2»

Comments

• Options
    IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    I just completed my Masters in Information Assurance at Capitol College. I think they have a solid program that I was able to complete while working full time.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hey, Veritas, do all of these schools listed accept WGU degrees?

The ones I looked at required a Bachelor degree from a Regionally Accredited College/University which WGU is. Most of these required a GPA of at least 2.75 and most commonly a 3.0 which WGU gives as your GPA upon completion.
  • Options
    fatpants007fatpants007 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Information Assurance Master?s Degree Online | Graduate Programs Online

Iowa State offers an IA masters online, they charge the same tuition for in-state and out-of-state students and I believe they were one of the original 7 centers of excellence.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    IT Man wrote: »
    I just completed my Masters in Information Assurance at Capitol College. I think they have a solid program that I was able to complete while working full time.

How long did it take you? What was the hardest part? I am considering them to pursue my Master's in IA.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    I have heard some people mention that Penn State's online degree method shows World Campus on the diploma. This is not true!

Penn State | Online Degrees, Online Courses, and Online Certificates offered by Penn State

Just thought I would clear that up... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    did u check these ?

FSU Computer Science - Masters Degree

The Volgenau School of Information Technology and Engineering at George Mason University

Course Descriptions

I'm thinking of doing masters degree in infosec...but maybe after 1.5 yrs as I can't afford it now...I think I'll go for on campus instead of online.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been looking at UMUC's program in Cybersecurity. I'm eager to hear what people have to say about it -- anyone have any experience with the program yet? I live in Baltimore so a degree from Univ. of Maryland will look great on my resume. If it turns out to be a good program, I might dive right in when I finish up my BSIT.
  • Options
    ktksq1ktksq1 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got an information assurance masters degree online from Regis University and I'm very happy with the results. The curriculum was great and everybody I dealt with was extremely helpful.
  • Options
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Whats the best option for someone situated in CA?
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Someone told me it's possible to get into some Masters programs with just a really good GMAT score. I have yet to find a school that doesn't say they require a Bachelors before you can start their Masters programs, but that doesn't mean you can't.

I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but I'd love to do Penn State's Masters of Professional Studies in Information Sciences with the certificate in Information Systems Security. Last I read they're ranked #1.

Their website says you don't have to take the GMAT if you have 5+ years of relevant work experience.

So I'm trying to decide if I should take the GMAT, try to get in with that, my 72 credit hours, and 12 years of experience, or just suck it up and finish my BS 1st.
  • Options
    grauwulfgrauwulf Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Arysta wrote: »
    I've been looking at UMUC's program in Cybersecurity. I'm eager to hear what people have to say about it -- anyone have any experience with the program yet? I live in Baltimore so a degree from Univ. of Maryland will look great on my resume. If it turns out to be a good program, I might dive right in when I finish up my BSIT.

Disclosure: I have a B.S. & an undergrad certificate, in information assurance, from UMUC.

So yeah.... UMUC. Here is the thing with UMUC: You will get out exactly as much as you put in. You live in Baltimore (I'm over by BWI, we should get a drinking group together :P ) so just ask around about the school. There are pluses and minuses to any school. UMUC serves a very specific market for distance education and that has shifted it's overall academic position. Also keep in mind that UMUC is not UMD. They are two completely different institutions.

This is where the age old question of 'what do you want?' creeps up. If you are after a degree in information security (just the paper) then UMUC is the way to go. If you are willing to teach yourself and just plow through the classes, UMUC may still be a good choice. If you want to 'learn' or be immersed in an environment of learning... I highly recommend UMBC's cyber programs, and apparently Towson is getting something going as well. UMBC has been ranked the #1 up and coming college in the nation for 2 years, it is really a good school.

Consider these two figures about UMUC ( College Navigator - University of Maryland-University College )
    Acceptance rate: 100% (on a personal note: Seriously? 100%? WTF?)
    Overall Graduation rate: 11%
    Transfer-out rate: 25%

Doing a little quick math and we discover that 64% of all UMUC students simply disappear off of the academic landscape. I will not offer my opinion on why that is, but I think it is in your best interest to take it into consideration when deciding where to put your time and money.

No degree from an regionally accredited school is going to get in your way, but I would seriously consider my alternatives.