Options

Can't get into rommon

LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've never run into this before. When I ctrl brk during the boot up sequence I get the folllowing garbage and I can't even get into rommon:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20)AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
PC = 0xbfc0a024, Cause = 0x2000, Status Reg = 0x3041f003

Any ideas? It's a Cisco 3620, I've tried google but haven't found anything worthwhile.

PS: Wasn't sure where to post this, you can move it if you feel it belongs elsewhere, I was gonna go for the CCNA forum, but it's not really a CCNA question so I wasn't sure.

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What console program are you using? I am pretty sure the "break' sequence varies from program to program.

Look at this:

http://www.ciscosystemsverified.biz/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.shtml
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    I tried hyperterminal, putty and ctrl brk was not working. Let me give you the full story, the router wasnt booting up correctly so I was going to tftp a new IOS to it. I just came to find out, the 3620 does xmodem, not tftp, but ok...

I finally just rebooted the darn thing and went away to have a cigarrete and came back and the stupid thing was in rommon finally, the trick? Don't do anything, let it try to boot from every slot it has, after it fails on all of them, he loaded into rommon. If you do ctrl brk you interrupt the sequence so it will never go into rommon.

Anyway, I also tried resetting the baud rate thru the jumpers on the MoBo in case that was the problem, as this point I don't know if that actually fixed anything.

So I just learned how to upload an IOS to the thing via xmodem, I'm gonna head home now and leave it doing this, as hyperterminal says it's gonna take 5 hours to finish the transfer of the IOS.

Wanna hear the funniest part, I can't type in hyperterminal, I can see the output but not type, I can type in Putty, but I don't know how to send the file thry Putty, so I consoled thru putty did the command to get xmodem up, then closed that, opened hyperterminal and console to the box and start transferring the file (no typing needed ) before it times out.
  • Options
    Another way to get into ronmon is by using config-register 0x2120.

Use of the Configuration Register on All Cisco Routers - Cisco Systems

The problem was, I couldn't telnet to the box because it wasnt loading it's config, and and I couldn't get into rommon with console, so I didnt really have a command line to type anything at any point which was the scary part hehe.