Options

Number of ports on a 3550

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all! First post over in the NP forums.

I'm slowly working on my CCNP Switch book; I've kindof stopped until I get a 3550 or two since I've reached a point where I really need to lab to understand what I'm reading.

Anyways; I thought I had read in one of the posts here that you really want to try getting a 48-port model for ... some reason, although I can't find the post/thread now to verify. I'm just wondering if my memory is faulty or if there's a reason to try for a 48-port one, or if I can go ahead on the 24-port model I (maybe) am getting a decent deal on.
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    24 port is more than enough. You'll typically get the 24 port cheaper too... I have two 48 port 3550s, but in no way, shape, or form am I using that many ports... I would suggest you try to get a 24port PoE in case you have an interest in voice... it'll save you on buying power bricks. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Cool, thanks. This one doesn't specify, but I'll keep an eye out for whatever PoE is for #2.

• Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    bermovick wrote: »
    Cool, thanks. This one doesn't specify, but I'll keep an eye out for whatever PoE is for #2.

I think it is generally accepted to go for the 24 port inline power (PoE wasn't a standard when the 3550s were released).

The 3550's can't do everything listed in the books, in the end for the last 2 days before my exam I borrowed a much more capable switch from work so that I was able to go through everything.
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    just remember to pay attention to the model.. EMI's can do advanced routing -- SMI's can not, unless you put an EMI image on them. I believe the SMI with an EMI image still has a limitation or two but I can't recall what they are ATM.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As others have said, 24 ports is plenty.

You actually get 26 ports as you have two GBIC ports, which you can populate with things like fiber port modules.

The PoE models were called "inline power" back then, but they provide the correct voltage for IP phones and wireless access points so no worries. They are often referred to as PoE models when advertised, so look for both inline power and PoE when searching.

Good luck with it!
  • Options
    Hmm, that's good to know. The posting didn't really give too much information on IOS, etc. They accepted my $65 offer though! It was labelled as a WS-C3524-XL-EN if that gives any information. Not sure what the XL or EN means. Gonna go check :)

• Options
    oh dang. I just noticed the 3524. shoot.

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bermovick wrote: »
    It was labelled as a WS-C3524-XL-EN if that gives any information. Not sure what the XL or EN means. Gonna go check :)
    The 3524-XL is an old Layer 2 switch.

The EN is the enterprise software -- which doesn't mean much since back in those days Trunking was an Enterprise feature icon_lol.gif

There are some command difference from the 2950 (and 2960 switches), so we usually suggest the 2924-XL-EN (or 3524-XL-EN) as a cheap 3rd and/or 4th switch for the CCNA (since they can do ISL trunking). These switches may still have some use for the CCNP as a 4th or 5th switch if some of the legacy Multicast topics are still covered.

Edit: I use 3524-XL-EN switches (and a 3512-XL-EN) for my home network because they offered a cheap 1 gig fiber connection solution between my upstairs office, downstairs work area, and server (utility) room.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Yeah, his main posting listed it as a 3550-series. I missed that 3524-ness. I may see if I can get the transaction cancelled. I'd rather get another 2950 than this.