Options

Wrong Move ?

kinggeorge1987kinggeorge1987 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I've been reading all over the forum today, peoples experiences, a lot about WGU lol, you guys are like a recruiting agency for that place. Anyway, I see very few people with Associates Degrees, mainly all Bachelors. Of course it is the smarter choice, i mean go big right ? But, am I messing up by just settling for an Associates ?

Should I have started with my Bachelors ? Even with my certs I plan on getting, A+, Net+, then Sec+(hopefully very quickly) will I still have a fighting chance ?

Will I be automatically eliminated against those with Bachelors ? Secondly, besides WGU I see alot of schools mentioned; none of which is the one I'm attending, Lincoln Tech College / Online Courses http://www.lincolnonline.com. I know their accredited and fairly well known. Just some input would be nice guys.
Certification Goals

CompTIA A+ 701 & 702 - by December
CompTIA Network+ - by Feb 2011
CompTIA Server + - by May 2011 (At the latest)

Currently Studying
Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to A+ (60%)
Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to Network+(60%)
Network+ Guide to Networks Fifth Edition - Tamara Dean(2%)
The Complete Guide to Servers and Server+ - Micheal Graves(2%)
TestOut Labsim - Network +
TestOut Labsim - Server+

Comments

• Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    In degree rankings, it's: Associates, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate

They build on each other. In most cases, you can't start a masters program with a bachelors. An associates is about half of a bachelors. Going for an associates degree already has you on the path for a bachelors degree in most schools.

As far as WGU goes, I'm not entirely sure how they have it set up. My experience is from a university.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    experience goes along way.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    experience goes along way.

Indeed it does. In the world experience is king. However a college degree helps, certs can never hurt either. I started out with an A.S. degree and then moved onto my B.S. degree, so far the degree has gotten me no where, meanwhile my CCNA and experience has landed me several interviews and 2 offers.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    Very glad to here that. Just tonight I've decided that I wanted to focus primarily on security. I am aware no one in this industry just lands themselves a good security job at first. I am ready to start in a help desk or customer service position and go where I can. But I am now focusing on what certs would be credible for a security position.
    Certification Goals

Currently Studying
    TestOut Labsim - Server+
  • Options
    TrainingDazeTrainingDaze Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone,
    Even with my certs I plan on getting, A+, Net+, then Sec+(hopefully very quickly) will I still have a fighting chance ?

Fighting chance for what exactly? An entry level tech job does not require any degree, although an Associate's can help. It's really just getting your foot in the door and gaining experience that really matters.

Many Associates Degree's can transfer to four year universities if you want to earn your Bachelor's, although I'm unfamiliar with Lincoln Tech. Attending a traditional brick and mortar University is beneficial for many reasons: you can set up and build a network among your peers, you have access to an Alumni network, Career Services brings companies and job opportunities to you. That being said, I wouldn't write off online Universities like WGU either, after all I do see this sort of online-hybrid education as being the future. As long as it is accredited and not a degree mill, then by all means go for it as online education is very flexible with work schedules allowing you to grow your experience + your education which is a win-win.

Do you want to move up in a company to management or C-level? Not having a bachelor's can be a glass ceiling for those jobs, there are of course exceptions to that rule but make no mistake that a degree opens doors. It's really all about what you want to do and what you're willing to do.
  • Options
    Well Lincoln has career services with all that, networking to find work isn't my biggest fear. It's mainly location, I'll probably have to move to obtain what I want. Which is ok, in time.

As for what Im going to do, i've just decided tonight I really want to focus on security. So im researching what certs are good for that, and trying to find study material to get the ball rolling. I was just noticing how everyone had bachelors, and thought I might have been missing the big picture.
    Certification Goals

Currently Studying
    TestOut Labsim - Server+
  • Options
    TrainingDazeTrainingDaze Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check out this post, especially the advice given by Keatron : http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/28593-security-certification-where-start.html

Entering cert names into job search engines like monster, dice, or indeed is also a good way to see what employers are looking for. icon_wink.gif

You've come to the right place for advice, there are many accomplished security pros wandering these boards and they're generous in dolling out good advice. Good luck hitting those books! icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Indeed, some very good advice. I am very excited. My patience is wearing thin, just a few more days until the remains of my student loan check come in, $1442.00. I am going to purchase study material, and possibly my CompTIA A+ Voucher, considering they dont expire until May is it safe to buy them? Im kind of hoping I shouldn't have to study for more then a few weeks, possibly a month at the most.
    Certification Goals

Currently Studying
    TestOut Labsim - Server+
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A month at most for the A+ .
    I constantly see job postings requiring an AS so you'll be OK. You can get in the workforce and get experience before going for the BS.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reassurance 'weed. All of you have really took a load off my mind and gave me a little direction.
    Certification Goals

Currently Studying
    TestOut Labsim - Server+