Options

How to - Run Server2008R2 as a VM on windows 7 Professional

mattymmattym Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with how i can run Windows Server 2008 R2 as a virtual machine on my Windows 7 Professional machine?

At the moment i have a 32-Bit 1.6Ghz Duo/3GB system, but may be able to upgrade to a 64-bit/4GB system.

Any suggestions would be apprecieted.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First off why do you need to run R2? If you're studying for 70- 640 or 70-642 then server 2008 32 bit would be sufficientand you could run it without the upgrade.
    If you just need to use 2008 R2 you will have to be on a 64 bit system. Make sure it has VT and it's enabled in the BIOS.
    \I read elsewhere that you can run a 64 bit VM on a 32 biy system using virtualbox but again you must have VT enabled. VT must be present on your machine and be enabled in order to run a 64 bit guest.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What exactly has been your problem trying to run it?
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    exampasser wrote: »
    What exactly has been your problem trying to run it?

Yeah, what have you tried so far?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your host OS must be 64-bit to be able to run 2008 R2 in a VM and you have to have hardware assisted virtualization enabled in the BIOS. Also I am pretty certain that Microsoft's Virtual PC won't allow 64-bit VM's at this point. I think you have to use VMWare Workstation ($$$) or Sun Virtualbox (free).
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    Your host OS must be 64-bit to be able to run 2008 R2 in a VM and you have to have hardware assisted virtualization enabled in the BIOS. Also I am pretty certain that Microsoft's Virtual PC won't allow 64-bit VM's at this point. I think you have to use VMWare Workstation ($$$) or Sun Virtualbox (free).

Correct. Make sure your host OS is 64-bit and download Sun VirtualBox to run 2008 R2 inside a VM.

However, if you are studying for the MCITP:SA/EA track, use 2008 (R1) 32-bit.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LukeQuake wrote: »
    Correct. Make sure your host OS is 64-bit and download Sun VirtualBox to run 2008 R2 inside a VM.

However, if you are studying for the MCITP:SA/EA track, use 2008 (R1) 32-bit.

Question. Can I still use 2008 R2 to study for the MCITP track? Or is it radically that different that I'm better off using 2008 R1? I kinda wanted my lab to mirror my PeopleSoft upgrade environment as well (and we're going to use R2 boxes when we go live).

If I am better off, then I guess I can upgrade to R2 later.