Options

File sharing

13»

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    So from what the article says netwok dicover doesn't work across routers so set up a upstairs and downstars switch and anything youy want to "see" each other has to be on the switch. He can still use the wireless router upsatirs but none of them can see each other.

>---router--switch---upstairs---switch--router
    and plug all comps that want to see each other into switches. The problem with using the router as a switch is that it's built(internally) like --router--switch
    Has the OP tried devilsbanes suggestion of plugging the cable form the downstairs router into one of the switch ports of the router?

I don't think so. IMO he just needs to go downstairs router--switch---upstairs switch---PCs and call it a day. Who knows if the pos TP router will even truly function as a switch like that. Spend the 15 dollars on a netgear 10/100.
  • Options
    BocaRatonITBocaRatonIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did not read this thread just the OP, not sure if this has already been addressed.

For Win 7 too detect Win XP PCs on a network via network discovery you need to install LLTD responder on the XP machine.

so this might be part of the issue.

Download details: Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)

The LLTD responder must be installed on a computer running Windows XP before it can be detected and appear on the network map. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I did not read this thread just the OP, not sure if this has already been addressed.

For Win 7 too detect Win XP PCs on a network via network discovery you need to install LLTD responder on the XP machine.

The LLTD responder must be installed on a computer running Windows XP before it can be detected and appear on the network map. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Huh?

My network is a 50/50 mix of Win7 and XP, none of the XP boxes have this installed and they all see each other.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

Good IDEA!
    I read the article and didn't even thing about that. But even still he is having other issues. from what I can tell, he cannot even ping the machines.

@P

It was probably automagically included in SP3. I have never had to do this either.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    So from what the article says netwok dicover doesn't work across routers so set up a upstairs and downstars switch and anything youy want to "see" each other has to be on the switch. He can still use the wireless router upsatirs but none of them can see each other.

>---router--switch---upstairs---switch--router
    and plug all comps that want to see each other into switches. The problem with using the router as a switch is that it's built(internally) like --router--switch
    Has the OP tried devilsbanes suggestion of plugging the cable form the downstairs router into one of the switch ports of the router?

modem--router(DLINK)--upstairs---switch--router(TP) this is my setup

The switch upstairs is only to continue the signal into my boys room

When I plug the link from the DLINK router into either of the 4 ports on the TP I retain the same IP and lose internet

If this is only basic networking then am not doing too well, lol maybe its not my fault and as someone has suggested my router will only ever function as a router

"It was probably automagically included in SP3. I have never had to do this either."

XP is on SP3
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My setup is
    modem--router
    switch--PCs (with 1 PC conected straight to the router and 1 wireless)
    I can "see" the pc that's wireless off the router but not the PC conected to the router and I can see all the PCs connected to the switch. Just put a switch downstairs and connect your XP to the upstairs switch and you should be fine.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    My setup is
    modem--router
    switch--PCs (with 1 PC conected straight to the router and 1 wireless)
    I can "see" the pc that's wireless off the router but not the PC conected to the router and I can see all the PCs connected to the switch. Just put a switch downstairs and connect your XP to the upstairs switch and you should be fine.

Without going out and buying a new switch my setup will have to consist of 3 things

I have to have a router downstairs to get the internet feed for my wireless, main pc is in living room connected to this router, using one of the ports cat5 goes out of the house up the front and into my bedroom, the cable is only just long enough so in bedroom i have connected a switch, from here it goes into my TP router, maybe I should have invested in a more expensive router one that could be set to function as just a switch

Will soon buy a switch so will no longer have this problem
  • Options
    mbarrambarra Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have mine set up the almost the same way

Basement Router
    WAN 1 Web

LAN 1 PC
    2 Switch 1

Upstairs Router
    WAN 1 NO CONNECTION

LAN 1 Switch 1
    2 PC
    3 PC

Switch connects both routers and additional PC and DirectTV boxes.

DHCP is enabled on the Basement router
    WAN connection is from dynamic from cable co.

Upstairs router is wireless and has DHCP disabled
    WAN is set to get DHCP address and since it is not connected all traffic flows to gateway on basement

Network is 192.168.15.0 /24
    Basement router 192.168.15.1
    Upstairs router 192.168.15.5
    Gateway 192.168.15.1
  • Options
    mbarra wrote: »
    I have mine set up the almost the same way

Basement Router
    WAN 1 Web

LAN 1 PC
    2 Switch 1

Upstairs Router
    WAN 1 NO CONNECTION

LAN 1 Switch 1
    2 PC
    3 PC

Switch connects both routers and additional PC and DirectTV boxes.

DHCP is enabled on the Basement router
    WAN connection is from dynamic from cable co.

Upstairs router is wireless and has DHCP disabled
    WAN is set to get DHCP address and since it is not connected all traffic flows to gateway on basement

Network is 192.168.15.0 /24
    Basement router 192.168.15.1
    Upstairs router 192.168.15.5
    Gateway 192.168.15.1

All of your IP's are *.*.15.*

Trouble I have is my router downstairs has *.*.0.* and my router upstairs has *.*.1.* and this cant be changed to the same number
  • Options
    mbarrambarra Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you not change the static address the second router?
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mbarra wrote: »
    Can you not change the static address the second router?
    1+
    That's what I've been thinking.
  • Options
    Look back a little further in the thread. His factory installed firmware doesn't allow him to do much of anything.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    This thread hurts my head.

LMAO..it kind of does mine too.
  • Options
    Look back a little further in the thread. His factory installed firmware doesn't allow him to do much of anything.

I believe the issue was that he could not change the value of the third octet on his TP router, I didn't know if he tried to change the value of the third octet on his dlink router.
  • Options
    True I don't think he tried that. Could be worth a try.
  • Options
    If that doesn't work there is the router flashing option.
  • Options
    I may have just made some progress,

"I believe the issue was that he could not change the value of the third octet on his TP router, I didn't know if he tried to change the value of the third octet on his dlink router."

Just changed my Dlink to a static 192.168.1.10, also disabled DHCP and gave my main PC a static IP of 192.168.1.20, internet still works

Going to go try my other PC upstairs now fingers crossed

So I gave my PC upstairs a static IP 192.168.1.21, unplugged the link from the Dlink into a diff port and now it works, have internet and can even access my shares

Going to try disabling DHCP now cos I really need 4 PC's hooked up in here

Done a factory reset so it had IP 192.168.1.1, disabled DHCP then plugged the feed into the WAN port and then lost internet, grr

Still need a switch cos am using 1 of the 4 ports for my feed from the dlink and I have 4 PC's

Never again am I buying TP-LINK kit

Thanks for your help much appreciated wouldnt have fixed it without it