Options

Another Resume Review

thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
Please let me know if anything should be changed in this resume. Thanks
CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First off, nice resumé. I would take off the "Self-study towards CCNP"; your experience speaks for itself and is proving a tidal force throughout the document. I would push the Education to the last page as something like "Bachelors in IT, WGU, Anticipated graduation date: X". I would list the acronyms for example, "Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)", and separately list the MSCE titles so you get more hits on HR searches.
  • Options
    Thanks for advice. I will do these things. I was thinking same thing for the MCSE and CCNA
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Thanks for advice. I will do these things. I was thinking same thing for the MCSE and CCNA

I think it might be a little too long. I think you should cut down on your descriptions and try to cut it down to two pages max.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good resume, packs a lot of punch. Good ideas there from rogue2shadow.

Just two things:

1. Absolutely have certifications at the top. The MCSE, MCITP are not easy to obtain, the recruiter/interviewer should know right off the bat that you have these certs. Have them, flaunt them kind of thing.

2. If you can, shorten it to 2 pages. Have 2-3 sentences, no more, per bullet points.

Otherwise, good resume, one of the better ones I have seen on the forums.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    I am working on getting it cut down. The problem is that I have so much expierence that it is hard to not list it :)
  • Options
    I am going to work on the descriptions and move the certification to the top.
  • Options
    I can get it down the three pages.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    I can get it down the three pages.

Can you just make an abridged resume and then have your full resume on linkedin or something?
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I were the hiring manager, I would have vetoed your resume due to the length before even getting through the first page.

I feel like you also have way too many bullet points for your jobs and the bullet points are too wordy.

Also try to keep it to 2 pages, with enough experience, I could see maybe a third page but definitely get rid of the 4th.

Easy way to do this? Get rid of your skills section.

A lot of managers, myself included, look at Skills sections and see them as a place to trip candidates up. A lot of candidates tend to go with a "well, Ive worked with it so it can go on my resume" attitude and in reality they either arent proficient at all or they dont have any depth with it. They also do this to get passed the keyword search, so most managers immediately discount it anyway for the interview selection process and only use it when interviewing to weed out candidates.

Embed your skills in your resume and job descriptions. It will get you passed the keyword searches and it will show the hiring manager just what sort of work you did with those technologies, at which point, they can make determination just how advanced you are in those topics.

Its already been recommend but your education section is very wordy... Try this:
    Bachelors of Science in Information Technology Network Management and Design
    Western Governors University
    Expected Graduation xxxx

I also second removing the self-study for CCNP. You already have your CCNA which should demonstrate sufficient networking ability to get by.

I also second adding the acronyms. Many HR folk receive a list of requirements for a job. Depending on the person writing the requirements, it might say Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer or MCSE. If it were to say MCSE your resume would likely be bypassed because most HR fold dont know what MCSE stands for. The same works in reverse so dont just list MCSE.

Id consider removing Microsoft Certified Professional and Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator. They are on the pathway to becoming an MCSE and are usually considered "lesser" certificates than the MCSE.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice. I am working getting the bullets down. I have changed the MCSE and other certifications. I am getting rid of the skills section because it is too much.
  • Options
    Two and half pages. I migrated alot of the different technologies that are similiar into one bullets.
  • Options
    SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    That final job, I'd pick maybe the four most relevant bullet points and pitch the rest. I'd make sure your tenses matched up with each position. And I do not know if it is important still, but I've been told that each bullet point should be in an active voice and to avoid "responsible for." I freely admit my resume is far from perfect but here's an example:

§ Completed complex migration from Symantec Enterprise Firewall to Cisco 5500 series ASA firewall.
    § Reviewed alerts in NIST National Vulnerability Database and remediated systems as required.
    § Analyzed FISMA findings and provided justification of risk or remediation of system.
    § Hardened routers to follow Cymru BGP Secure Template.
    § Tested and implemented ACNS 5.1.3.15 on Cisco 7325 Content Engines and Websense Software 5.0.1 on Windows 2000 servers in development and production environment.
    § Documented Content Filtering test plan, implementation, and standard operational procedures.

You can definitely make it a lot shorter and harder hitting! I'd increase your font size too - 8 is way too small.

eta: I'd lose a lot of the white space - you are losing valuable real estate there!
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.