Options

Internetwork Expert CCNP Series

mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
Hi guys,

Has anyone used the Internetwork Expert CCNP class on demand series for ROUTE, SWITCH and TSHOOT? They have 30% off at the moment making it an attractive purchase should the training quality be up to scratch.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    NoChanceNoChance Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I noticed this as well. I'm thinking about using them for the TSHOOT, but I'd love some feedback from others first.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I have it but I've not started CCNP just yet. They have not updated, and there appears to plans in the future, the workbook from the previous CCNP program. They do have one and the material is obviously still relevant but not tailored to the way the new track is laid out per se. So YMMV. At 30% off you can't really go wrong though. /shrug
  • Options
    Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    I haven't used them, but based on everything that I've heard about these tests I would venture to guess that the TSHOOT course is relatively worthless after you've passed the ROUTE and SWITCH exams.
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    I have it but I've not started CCNP just yet. They have not updated, and there appears to plans in the future, the workbook from the previous CCNP program. They do have one and the material is obviously still relevant but not tailored to the way the new track is laid out per se. So YMMV. At 30% off you can't really go wrong though. /shrug

So the CCNP material they are selling hasn't been updated to the new track???
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    They have been updated for the new track. I felt that the INE videos were a good supplement to the CCNP books (for the old track)
  • Options
    It's updated, however the workbook that they built to go along with it is not. They claim that the workbook they have is still relevant to the topics and should still provide plenty of work to do. I do not agree with that and hope that at some point they come up with something like the Cisco Lab Manuals are going to do. One for each track.
  • Options
    To answer my own question, I went ahead and bought the CCNP Class on Demand series while it was on offer. However, I've been left very dissapointed.

Firstly, the training is delivered online via a Flash based classroom, I think it called Adobe Connect Pro. The main problem with this is Flash itself. Flash in my opinion is not a viable delivery platform as it is subject to too many variables that can affect whether it works or not. The videos are not available to download so kiss goodbye to encoding them for your iPhone.

Secondly, because of the querks with Flash the slides and audio are regularly out of sync. Be prepared to pause the video every 5 minutes to force it to re-sync.

Thirdly, when the videos were encoded there must have been an open mic somewhere as you can clearly hear someone heavy breathing in the backgroud. If you typically listen to videos with headphones on then its even worse.

Forthly, the slow refresh of the Flash videos and small font of the console output makes the hands-on demos very difficult to follow.

Not good.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    For the video/flash issue, try viewing them w/Chrome. I had a ton of problems with their CCIE:Voice / CCVP series w/IE but they were pretty smooth (and quick) once I switched to Chrome. Of course that doesn't help with the heavy breathing!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    I've tried Chrome and Safari but no joy, thanks for the suggestion though. I've got a support ticket open so hopefully that might come to something otherwise I've got £200.00 worth of training that I can't watch icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    mattrgee wrote: »
    I've tried Chrome and Safari but no joy, thanks for the suggestion though. I've got a support ticket open so hopefully that might come to something otherwise I've got £200.00 worth of training that I can't watch icon_sad.gif

Their support is pretty good - hopefully they can get things straightened out for you. When I had an issue one of the voice IEs contacted me directly and was quite helpful.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This sounds horrible. I'd get a refund and buy the nuggets instead. The ROUTE nugget is already out and if you start with that, it should keep you busy until the next nugget comes out.
    To answer my own question, I went ahead and bought the CCNP Class on Demand series while it was on offer. However, I've been left very dissapointed.

Firstly, the training is delivered online via a Flash based classroom, I think it called Adobe Connect Pro. The main problem with this is Flash itself. Flash in my opinion is not a viable delivery platform as it is subject to too many variables that can affect whether it works or not. The videos are not available to download so kiss goodbye to encoding them for your iPhone.

Secondly, because of the querks with Flash the slides and audio are regularly out of sync. Be prepared to pause the video every 5 minutes to force it to re-sync.

Thirdly, when the videos were encoded there must have been an open mic somewhere as you can clearly hear someone heavy breathing in the backgroud. If you typically listen to videos with headphones on then its even worse.

Forthly, the slow refresh of the Flash videos and small font of the console output makes the hands-on demos very difficult to follow.

Not good.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    A month after buying the videos they still refuse to play in-sync. Support have been far from helpful and 2 weeks after logging a support ticket they have no suggestions on how to fix the problem. All they have asked for is: does it happen all the time? Yes. Does it affect all the vidoes? Yes. Can you ping this address? Yes.

They've closed the ticket now as they can't help me, offical response below:
    Thank you for your patience with this issue. It appears that level 3 has been having issues with network flapping recently, which is affecting our customers who route through them to reach our servers. Unfortunately, because the problem lies outside our networks, all I can do to help is to suggest you contact your ISP and give them the information you gave us. If you need anything else from us, please let us know.

So its not crappy Flash after all! Hurray, its my ISP. Why didn't I think of that?!

Why any company would choose a delivery method as fickle as Flash is beyond me. What happened to good old .avi?
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I call BS on their excuse. 99% of their traffic flows through Level 3.
    That and Reno, Nevada is a terrible place to host internet services.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Wow and I almost bought this package really glad I didn't.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hmmm, here is their policy

All electronic product purchases and pre-orders including but not limited to lab workbooks, are final, non-refundable, and non-transferable to any third party unless a prior licensing agreement is agreed upon in writing.

Kind of a "once we get your money you ain't getting it back" policy.

Personally, I would recommend that everyone stay away from them.

At the very least, try our their free demo before you buy anything. That way you can make sure it all works with your PC.

If I were the OP, I would dispute it with my credit card company.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I'm sorry to hear you are having such difficulties with the series. An old coworker purchased a subscription this week and has been pleased with it. I asked him if he had any playback issues with his macbook or his Windows7 machine and he commented that neither one gave him any difficulties.

Hopefully you are able to get this resolved with their tech support or you could possibly call your credit card company and request a chargeback since the service never worked as intended for you.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    jtecsjtecs Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was wondering does the audio in your MSTP lesson work? Ever since I purchase the SWITCH track, I noticed that there isn't any audio. I have emailed support a few times , but no fix yet.
  • Options
    Not sure, doing the ROUTE track at the moment, or at least trying to.

What lesson is it? I will check when I get home.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not sure, doing the ROUTE track at the moment, or at least trying to.

What lesson is it? I will check when I get home.

Did you use a credit card to order? use a charge back if so! you have paid for the material so they should refund you otherwise. Have you asked for a refund straight out front?

Although i havent used there material ive always heard good things about them.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    It's lesson 9 (Advanced STP part 4) for the SWITCH exam.
  • Options
    Wow I feel terrible now for recommending them to you. I've generally met with better customer service than that. They've not been receiving very good reviews as of late. I did go and check the MSTP part 4 and the other parts and I'm not having any audio issues as of yet.
  • Options
    You're right, there's no audio on that lesson! Jesus, this is disgusting, talk about complete lack of quality control!
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    Wow I feel terrible now for recommending them to you. I've generally met with better customer service than that. They've not been receiving very good reviews as of late. I did go and check the MSTP part 4 and the other parts and I'm not having any audio issues as of yet.

Hmm that's odd. I'm on a mac running Safari, what about you?
  • Options
    Also meant to say.

I contacted support to ask where I can download the Workbook that accompanies the series. Answer: It's no-longer available. Great.

Looks like I'll be trying to get a refund, I didn't pay by credit card however.
  • Options
    I'm using Windows 7 with Firefox and the audio works just fine for me. I'm testing each lesson. I'll try on my Mac when I get home. I don't use Safari though their either. Firefox.
  • Options
    Also, I have access to the workbook. It's under the old series. Remember, they didn't update it to go along with the new material because the workbook is still relevant. I don't really like that answer myself but it's better than nothing.

inewrkbk.png

• Options
    I tried here at home on my Mac and everything works fine. Even in Safari. So I'm not sure what to tell ya man. I know from time to time when watching the videos that the slide will not shift but he'll continue talking. If I close the video and then click back to the slide it continues working just fine. I don't have to do it often but I have had to do that. That's really the only issues I've had with the videos.

I watched the first 3 at work today without any issues. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    I installed chrome and the syncing worked a lot better. The only video I have problems with is the MSTP lesson. I have played it in both windows and mac and it runs but there is no audio. I called them about it and they told me they were aware of the problem and are working on it, but that was a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    Very strange. The audio works for me on both my Mac and my Windows 7 machines. Again I'm using Firefox. Have you tried that?