General Question

chopenikchopenik Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm already A+ and NET+ certified, and now I want to start studying for MCP before I go for MCSE. My question is, what does this test consist of? What materials do I need? Any good resources or recommendations?

Also, once I'm ready to go for the MCSE, is it true I can substitute one of the MCSE exams for my A+ and NET+ ?

Thanx

Comments

• TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm kind of not understanding your first questions, because it depends on which track you are taking. MCSE 2000 or 2003. Also, they have multiple tests that qualify for an MCP, so first you would decide which track you are going to take and then can find out which exam you will take to become MCP first and finally you can decide what materials to use for that particular exam.

Most people find the MS Press and Sybex books the best for the Microsoft exams, but there are others as well.

As for your second question, once you become an MCP you can have your CompTIA credentials forwarded to your Microsoft transcript to be applied toward the elective to your track. However, A+ and Network+ only qualify as an elective towards MCSA 2000/2003 while CompTIA's Security+ qualifies for an elective toward the MCSE 2000/2003.
  • chopenikchopenik Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Suppose I want to focus on MCSE. What and how many tests do I need to become MCP before I take the rest of the tests to become MCSE
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    chopenik wrote:
    Suppose I want to focus on MCSE. What and how many tests do I need to become MCP before I take the rest of the tests to become MCSE

Once you take, and pass any one M$ exam, for any certification, you will earn the MCP credential. If you want to focus solely on MCSE, check this link out. It has all the official info for MCSE, and all other M$ certs as well. Do you have any experience with this material? Any reason you want MCSE only?
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    chopenik wrote:

Seven for MCSE, four core and three electives, though I believe you can sub Sec+ in for one of the electives if you have it. Net+ and A+ do *not* contribute to MCSE
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=