Options

Scheduling my Security+ exam within 2 weeks.

erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I got ports, assymmetric encryption, symmetric encryption, attacks, Smurfs attacking Bluetooth, etc., etc., comming out of the wazoo. I'm going to continue reinforcing that knowledge and I'm going for the pass. I am not expecting 900 out of 900 and I'll be extremely happy if I get 750 out of 900. In fact, I'll still frame my Security+ cert (but probably not the score report....) and place it in my office.

My materials that I'm using are Darril Gibson's Security+ book, MeasureUp's "SumITUp" summary, Sybex, Practice Guide, Transcenders for SY0-201, MeasureUp's (got the pass on that) Practice exam, LabSim and for a short time LearnKey (Between LearnKey and LabSim, LabSim's videos are much, much better....LearnKey is too general and his jokes are f'ing corny!)

I just have to remember that I've done a lot of this and to not let the questions trip me up, as they were in the beginning. I'm still going to keep reading until I get the pass and when I do, I will post the separate thread.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Labsim is definitely the best video training for the Sec+. A lot of people at WGU had been using just the Labsim with no books and passing the test with high scores. I'm sure you'll do OK.
    The questions on the test are pretty much all situational and ask for the "best" answer. My trick on remembering which encryptions were assymetric/symmetric is that there are less assymetric and remember those. You may also get a port question or 2 so make sure you know which ports are SECURE.
    The practice questions on the labsim are really good. Use them.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    You may also get a port question or 2 so make sure you know which ports are SECURE.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Yup, I remember one of those in my Measureup. I liked how they threw some port number I didn't recognize and then threw ports that I knew were secure. FTP, HTTP, Telnet etc. I definitely know are not.

I'm gonna keep up with the Labsims and until I take the ride into Manhattan. I will definitely keep you all posted.
  • Options
    Well, it's official! I take the Security+ exam, Thursday, August 26th at 9:00AM. I'm gonna use some "bank" time from work to take the exam at that time and then go to work straight from the testing center (Prometric Main Site in Manhattan). Just gonna think positive and continue doing what I'm doing. Gonna make sure D. Gibson is with me so he can help keep things fresh before I answer the questions and then just be calm. Gonna go to bed really early on Wednesday night.

The good news is that I get one more shot if I happen to fail....but I'm not going to dwell on that....positive thoughts, Baby, positive thoughts!

It's an appropriate time to take it, as that's the last day of our 4 day work week before we go back to the regular 5 day work week. icon_cry.gif

Well, back to Labsim. :D
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck, you should be alright.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Good luck on your exam! Darril wont steer you wrong on the exam.
    I hadn't heard of Darril's book until right before I took my exam (back in March of this year) so I had only used the sybex study guide, sybex street smarts, Labsim, Learnkey (didn't like it) and examfarce(useless) The street smarts made it fun as I labbed some stuff while studying (with XP and Server 2003)
    Does your mentor require you to do the examforce test?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    The worst POS I ever saw was the examfarce for the JavaScript class. It had a ridiculously small exam bank and some of the answers were wrong! When you take JavaScript (AKV1 or WJV1 don't know which it is now) get the study guide from MCMCSE.com and read the book thoroughly. You can do the programming exercises if you just want to but you can pass without doing any programming, believe me. I did the programming and wasdisappointed that the exam actually asks you very little about programming.
  • Options
    The worst POS I ever saw was the examfarce for the JavaScript class. It had a ridiculously small exam bank and some of the answers were wrong! When you take JavaScript (AKV1 or WJV1 don't know which it is now) get the study guide from MCMCSE.com and read the book thoroughly. You can do the programming exercises if you just want to but you can pass without doing any programming, believe me. I did the programming and wasdisappointed that the exam actually asks you very little about programming.

That's definitely gonna be second term.

Just for the fun of it, I'll do the programming as well. I did BASIC, PASCAL, and C in high school/college. I liked it, but I wouldn't do it as job. Not even for triple my salary. LOL. I did bookmark that post and put it on my WGU folder, so I'll remember when AKV1 is in the picture.
  • Options
    The programming is really easy especially if you've done any other type of programming before. They didn't have programming when I was in high school but I took Basic and Fortran in college so the Javascript was pretty easy. You'll learn your html tags a little better while you're learning Javascript. HTML is covered in WFV1 and that's probably the only thing you'll need to even look at for that class.
  • Options
    The programming is really easy especially if you've done any other type of programming before. They didn't have programming when I was in high school but I took Basic and Fortran in college so the Javascript was pretty easy. You'll learn your html tags a little better while you're learning Javascript. HTML is covered in WFV1 and that's probably the only thing you'll need to even look at for that class.

Ahhh....brings me back to my Frontpage days......I still had to edit the HTML manually, but Frontpage made it easy to put a webpage up. Man, that's going to bring me back.
  • Options
    I guess I misspoke then. You should just go ahead and take WFV1 now erpadmin. If you have exposure to html that class will be one of those "take preassesment and move directly to voucher" classes for you..lol
  • Options
    I guess I misspoke then. You should just go ahead and take WFV1 now erpadmin. If you have exposure to html that class will be one of those "take preassesment and move directly to voucher" classes for you..lol

I'm not seeing how you misspoke, I definitely see what you're saying (I think...). :) Anyhow, in truth, I was a bit reticent about taking WFV1 this term only because I afraid Sec+ would burn me out, test prepping-wise. Even though it's (WFV1) terribly easy and from what I read from you and others, I probably just have to show up and take the exam. Part of my fears of these exams really stems from the fact that when I took Network+ the first time, I failed it. But a good backstory, I failed because I took the 1999 Objectives. Had I waited a couple of years, I would have passed easily as '99 was out the door. The '99 Objectives were filled with IPX/SPX, coaxial cabling, and a whole bunch of networking terms that were already getting obsolete. I never dealt with Novell administration, didn't have to deal with vampire taps or any of that nonsense. And when I failed, the guy said I missed it by one or two questions. I never wanted to go through that again. But the next time, decided to sit for the A+ using Mike Meyers a couple of years later, plus Net+ and slayed them all.

I will take your advice and take WFV1 this term, plus finish the LXXes. Next term we'll do the programming. It's sick because the month is not even over and if all goes well, I'll "officially" be done with my 12 CUs. LOL!
  • Options
    I misspoke because my whole post a ways back said you'd have to learn html basically. I didn't know you already had used it. WFV1 is a mile wide but an inch deep. You're probably going to be another one of those people doing 30+ CUs a term. This coming term I'm aiming for the max I've done so far..25
  • Options
    I misspoke because my whole post a ways back said you'd have to learn html basically. I didn't know you already had used it. WFV1 is a mile wide but an inch deep. You're probably going to be another one of those people doing 30+ CUs a term. This coming term I'm aiming for the max I've done so far..25

According to my calculations, I'd need to do an additional 42 CUs by the end of my term (after Sec+) and then another 42 for me to be done in a year. I don't see it happening. I'll see what happens though. Not saying you're wrong, but I don't see it. I probably should start trusting in others...because people (including you) have so far been right in what's what. I'm hoping the same is true for Sec+. Would love to be done with my 12 before I speak to my mentor again on Friday. :)

WFV1 will be part of the new trilogy. (Along with the LAT1 and LUT1). Just want to knock Sec+ out plus handle real work. I currently have a few servers that need new Web Servers and Application Servers for our PeopleTools upgrade for work. I want to be done with that before I even get on the train to Manhattan.
  • Options
    With the webserver experience you have the MCITP track will definitely be a smooth track for you.
  • Options
    Well, taking the test tomorrow at 9:00 (EST). It is my hope that I will say I passed or that other thing......

Please wish me luck. I took the practice exam at the end of Darril's book today and got 90% (would have been more by one percent, but that question on Buffer Overflow threw me...I initially had it right but changed it when I thought it was DLL injection. We use QualysGuard for pen testing/vulnerability scanning and Weblogic will actually show you in real time malformed packets, DLL injections, and the like. The way I configured Weblogic....it blocked them all. :) (I keeps-up-wit-my-patches). I am making sure I get to the City early enough so I can get one more cup of coffee and it's off for 6 CUs of WGU and the third and final test of the CompTIA Trinity.....

When I get to the office, will let you know what's what.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Well, taking the test tomorrow at 9:00 (EST). It is my hope that I will say I passed or that other thing......

Please wish me luck. I took the practice exam at the end of Darril's book today and got 90% (would have been more by one percent, but that question on Buffer Overflow threw me...I initially had it right but changed it when I thought it was DLL injection. We use QualysGuard for pen testing/vulnerability scanning and Weblogic will actually show you in real time malformed packets, DLL injections, and the like. The way I configured Weblogic....it blocked them all. :) (I keeps-up-wit-my-patches). I am making sure I get to the City early enough so I can get one more cup of coffee and it's off for 6 CUs of WGU and the third and final test of the CompTIA Trinity.....

When I get to the office, will let you know what's what.

GL and bring back a victory!!!
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Good luck!! icon_cool.gif
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa