Sick!!!

janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
I am sick of technology as a job. I am down to liking it only for fun.

Anyone else in that frame of mind now?
"It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    janmike wrote: »
    I am sick of technology as a job. I am down to liking it only for fun.

Anyone else in that frame of mind now?

Nope, I love technology. I do know people that are in your same boat though. Consider a change of jobs, not all of technology is the same.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I still enjoy it I just wish I had more technical responsibilities
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I think if I did anything else for a living I would be bored out of my mind. Is it really technology in general that you're sick of, or is it your current job?
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    I often get this way... I usually say "I hate computers" about once a day, but it's not entirely true, as I still get giddy over the arrival of a new server, a rack of SANs, or a well-designed network.

For me, it's mostly just the frustration that comes with the job. Changing jobs might help, as would getting a hobby or two.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Must be your job. I like dealing with computers/networks but hate the job I do now. Not so much the work but more the environment and people. Comes from a reactive place instead of a proactive one. Putting out fires sucks when a little change could minimize them.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For a time (in fact it was pre 9/11), I didn't want any type of Internet access. I just wanted to be a normal 20-something year old and party (in all senses of that word........). Then 9/11 happened, and wanted the Internet access in part to help take my mind off of things, as well as look for another job. (I had Internet at the job and spent most of my time there.....oh, such fun to be a Desktop Support dude....).

But in any event, I never hated technology. It just felt like PCs were like work and I wanted to leave work at work. Now, I'm almost feeling the love again...in part thanks you guys and the rest of TE. It reminds me when I first got in the game....kinda like when you hookup with your first love and you hear the birds chirping and Cloud 9 is all you want.....but after her, you never feel that way again, even when you do meet the love of your life (cause you got jaded by life...) Ahhh....youth!
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    erpadmin wrote: »
    For a time (in fact it was pre 9/11), I didn't want any type of Internet access. I just wanted to be a normal 20-something year old and party (in all senses of that word........). Then 9/11 happened, and wanted the Internet access in part to help take my mind off of things, as well as look for another job. (I had Internet at the job and spent most of my time there.....oh, such fun to be a Desktop Support dude....).

But in any event, I never hated technology. It just felt like PCs were like work and I wanted to leave work at work. Now, I'm almost feeling the love again...in part thanks you guys and the rest of TE. It reminds me when I first got in the game....kinda like when you hookup with your first love and you hear the birds chirping and Cloud 9 is all you want.....but after her, you never feel that way again, even when you do meet the love of your life (cause you got jaded by life...) Ahhh....youth!

Can't say I hate technology. I truly enjoy new and different--what else is there in tech?
    And you kids all have good replies. To tell the truth, I am 64 and will be able to retire in less that 2 years.LOL
    And the truth is, I am sick of all this customer service dialogue that I have heard a million times or so.
    I am into so many processes that I left behind when I entered the field about 8 years ago.
    Give me HARDWARE!!!!LOL

Good luck to you guys!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Yeah i can't say that I dislike getting paid to do something I enjoy.

Sure, there are BS parts to the job, but its much less than a job where i hated EVERYthing i had to do.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like I've tried to tell my wife "Bullsh*t will always happen at work no matter where you work". If the money is worth the problems and it isn't killing you then stay. If your having health issues because of stress at work it is time to find another job.