Options

A+ Network+ = MCSA ? Any one clear this up for me?

morepowerrmorepowerr Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently have the A+ and Network+. I'm working on security+ for late "Sept" or early "Oct".

My question is about below comment from MCSA.

" As an alternative to the electives on the MCSA electives table, certifications or certification combinations may substitute for an MCSA elective. For example, CompTIA A+ and Network+ together or CompTIA A+ and Server+ together can be credited and substituted for an elective through a Microsoft and CompTIA partnership agreement. One may also substitute Security+ alone which counts for the elective and one of two exams for the "Security Specialization." Security+ counts for MCSA 2003 and MCSE 2003. This is just one cost effective way to earning an MCSA if candidates are already certified in other areas."

Can some one please give me more info on this?

P.S.
I ask this because outside influences. icon_jokercolor.gifHave convenient forces beyond my control. icon_rolleyes.gifThat certifications are only Valid if there stamped with a Microsoft Seal. And that I should go after the MCSA & MCSE after getting Security+. Where as I would like to keep working to take CWTS and get LPIC. And could careless if every thing Windows Burst in to flames.icon_twisted.gif

Thank you for your time.
Morepowerr.

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Earning the MCSA requires two core exams (70-290, 70-291), one client exam (e.g. 70-270), and one elective exam. You can substitute the elective exam with certain CompTIA exams. Check Microsoft's MCSA page for more info:
    Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    morepowerr wrote: »
    I currently have the A+ and Network+. I'm working on security+ for late "Sept" or early "Oct".

My question is about below comment from MCSA.

" As an alternative to the electives on the MCSA electives table, certifications or certification combinations may substitute for an MCSA elective. For example, CompTIA A+ and Network+ together or CompTIA A+ and Server+ together can be credited and substituted for an elective through a Microsoft and CompTIA partnership agreement. One may also substitute Security+ alone which counts for the elective and one of two exams for the "Security Specialization." Security+ counts for MCSA 2003 and MCSE 2003. This is just one cost effective way to earning an MCSA if candidates are already certified in other areas."

Can some one please give me more info on this?

P.S.
    I ask this because outside influences. icon_jokercolor.gifHave convenient forces beyond my control. icon_rolleyes.gifThat certifications are only Valid if there stamped with a Microsoft Seal. And that I should go after the MCSA & MCSE after getting Security+. Where as I would like to keep working to take CWTS and get LPIC. And could careless if every thing Windows Burst in to flames.icon_twisted.gif

Thank you for your time.
    Morepowerr.

Yes, that's all correct. You may or may not know, but just keep in mind Security+ can not take the place of 70-299, as that's a core requirement for the Security Specialization. It can count as the elective in place of 70-350 or 70-351 only. And I don't blame you for going the cheapest route possible, I wish I knew all this when I was starting out. But anyway, good luck.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used the A+/Net+ combo to get my MCSA. (70-270, 70-290, 70-291, and transfer those 2 certs in). But since then I have decided that I want to go for the MCSE:Security specialization and I also wanted to have Security+. So I did the Security+ and just recently transferred that in. Now I just need the 70-293, 70-294, 70-298 for the MCSE and then the 70-299 for MCSE:S
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Technito wrote: »
    Yes, that's all correct. You may or may not know, but just keep in mind Security+ can not take the place of 70-299, as that's a core requirement for the Security Specialization. It can count as the elective in place of 70-350 or 70-351 only. And I don't blame you for going the cheapest route possible, I wish I knew all this when I was starting out. But anyway, good luck.

So in order to get the MCSA: Security you need the Security+ and the 70-299?
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    Reseven wrote: »
    So in order to get the MCSA: Security you need the Security+ and the 70-299?

Sorry, I made a mistake above. Here's an easy way of looking at it for MCSA: Security.

Both of these exams must be taken:--> 70-290, 70-291

Choose 1 client exam: ---> 70-270, 70-620, 70-680

Choose 2 from these electives: 70-350, 70-351, 70-299 Security+

5 exams total.....Microsoft have added other electives such as CISSP, SSCP etc to the list you can choose for the Security Specialization as well. And from what I understand you can use any of the 2.

Edit: Note that the 70-350 (ISA 2004) exam will be disappearing this October, and 70-620 (Vista) will be gone as well sometime soon.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Options
    Technito wrote: »
    Sorry, I made a mistake above. Here's an easy way of looking at it for MCSA: Security.

Both of these exams must be taken:--> 70-290, 70-291

Choose 1 client exam: ---> 70-270, 70-620, 70-680

Choose 2 from these electives: 70-350, 70-351, 70-299 Security+

5 exams total.....Microsoft have added other electives such as CISSP, SSCP etc to the list you can choose for the Security Specialization as well. And from what I understand you can use any of the 2.

Edit: Note that the 70-350 (ISA 2004) exam will be disappearing this October, and 70-620 (Vista) will be gone as well sometime soon.

Ahhh, I see.

Thank you.

So it looks like the 70-351, 70-299, and the Security+ are going to be the only choices left.

I'm working on my Security+ right now. Just picked up Daril's book for $10 (Kindle version) on Amazon. Anyone have any opinion on the 351 and 299? I guess I should ask which one may be a bit easier? After glancing at the objectives, they both seem equal in difficulty.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Reseven wrote: »
    Ahhh, I see.

Thank you.

So it looks like the 70-351, 70-299, and the Security+ are going to be the only choices left.

I'm working on my Security+ right now. Just picked up Daril's book for $10 (Kindle version) on Amazon. Anyone have any opinion on the 351 and 299? I guess I should ask which one may be a bit easier? After glancing at the objectives, they both seem equal in difficulty.

The good news is that the 299 is the same material as the 70-298, just in a different format. The 70-298 is one of the 3 electives for the MCSE, so if you intend on doing the MCSE and choose the 298 for your elective (why wouldn't you?) then the 299 should be cakework. The only drawback to this is that you would most likely want to go MCSA, MCSE, and then get the MCSA:S and MCSE:S at the same time. No sense studying for one of them, going to a different test, and then coming back to the same material 2 or 3 months later.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    The good news is that the 299 is the same material as the 70-298, just in a different format. The 70-298 is one of the 3 electives for the MCSE, so if you intend on doing the MCSE and choose the 298 for your elective (why wouldn't you?) then the 299 should be cakework. The only drawback to this is that you would most likely want to go MCSA, MCSE, and then get the MCSA:S and MCSE:S at the same time. No sense studying for one of them, going to a different test, and then coming back to the same material 2 or 3 months later.

Very true. I guess I'll grab the Security+ since I've started it, then begin the long path to the MCSE.