Could I get some eyes on my resume too please?

Let me know what sucks, what's questionable, what makes you bow down before my l33tness etc. Thank you! :) One thing in particular I wonder about - I have a version where the last two jobs are left off. Is that preferable? There is a gap there that will raise eyebrows, especially combined with the last yr I had to take off to keep my babies healthy (they were quarantined when they came home from the NICU then not released to go to daycare tll recently).
OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.

Comments

• ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the clearance is active then I'd put it above education and label it clearance all by itself. A clearance is a big thing since it costs a company so much to obtain one for you if they need you to have one.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Move the education and certs to the top of the resume right before technical summary. Make the technical summary part smaller. Also some of your statements need help with wording one I picked out is "
    • [FONT=&quot]Built team of six security engineers."[/FONT]
    What does that mean? Did you manage them? Did you setup hiring for 6 engineers to work for you? I would change that word to "organized" since we are talking about people. We build servers and networks we don't build people.

What were the outcomes of all the things you done. If you administered or assisted in those task they could have all failed. I don't guess when I look at resumes. I would(and this is personal preference) take a closer look at resumes without as much stuff, but a good through understanding of what they did and what were the outcomes of those task than a resume that just has task that were done with no outcomes.

the last things is put your clearance at the top also.

That should give you some insight.

Hope it helps
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    Thank you - it's actually not current which is why it's at the bottom...this is the right place then, yes?

What I meant about "built" was that, while I was not the hiring manager and when we decided we were going to elect a lead, it was more of a "one two three-not it" so I escaped that (yes, we argued over who had to do it...there was too much drama and fighting around and above us), I was the first one in the door and got the rest of them set up and oriented, and did the scheduling. In retrospect, I should have agreed to be the lead...would have looked good on my resume!
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Thank you - it's actually not current which is why it's at the bottom...this is the right place then, yes?

What I meant about "built" was that, while I was not the hiring manager and when we decided we were going to elect a lead, it was more of a "one two three-not it" so I escaped that (yes, we argued over who had to do it...there was too much drama and fighting around and above us), I was the first one in the door and got the rest of them set up and oriented, and did the scheduling. In retrospect, I should have agreed to be the lead...would have looked good on my resume!

Why can't you put lead there? Don't sale yourself short. What I put it bold is signs of leadership.

Also you still have to move away from the world "built" we are talking about people here.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Thank you so much! I will work further on it and incorporate your suggestions.
    One more question - is there a better way to say these two?

§ Reviewed alerts in NIST National Vulnerability Database and rectified systems as required.
    § Analyzed FISMA findings and provided justification of risk or remediation of system.

And would you say this?

§ Completed complex migration from Symantec Enterprise Firewall to Cisco 5500 series ASA firewall including translation of cryptic undocumented text files into ASA configuration file.

Ooops....one more question. Inspired by another, I decided to try bolding. Is this, for example, too bold-happy?

§ Administered twenty-seven high-availability pairs of Cisco 500 series PIX and Cisco 5500 series ASA firewalls including routing configuration, NAT/PAT, access control list (ACL) administration, policy auditing, and log file and packet analysis.
    § Completed complex migration from Symantec Enterprise Firewall to Cisco 5500 series ASA firewall including translation of cryptic undocumented text files into ASA configuration file.
    § Configured and troubleshot Cisco 7300 series routers and 6500 series switches (CatOS and IOS) including routing, VLAN configuration, router hardening, and IOS updates.
    § Administered DNS using djbdns and Active Directory; Cisco TACACS+ administration.
    § Analyzed and resolved tickets generated systemically, through configuration change requests and end-user requests.
    § Reviewed alerts in NIST National Vulnerability Database and rectified systems as required.
    § Analyzed FISMA findings and provided justification of risk or remediation of system.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    **** the CCNA - in progress, unless you've passed the first part of the exam I'd leave it off completely for now. Your work experience shows you understand Cisco so this is of no relevance at the moment.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    **** the CCNA - in progress, unless you've passed the first part of the exam I'd leave it off completely for now. Your work experience shows you understand Cisco so this is of no relevance at the moment.

+1. Good thing to add to a cover letter though.
    CCNP :study:
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    I am no HR expert, but here's a few things. Most are fairly minor:

I would never admit to your babies prior/current medical condition. You probably wouldn't anyway, but it bears repeating. Taking a year off to care for your children is a good thing in my book. I think that's all you need to say.

I like your footer, but I don't see any page numbers. You have a 2 1/2 page resume. Granted it should be pretty obvious.

I would bold the names of any big name contractor/government agency.

As for the CCNA thing, I would put it on, listing a future date, providing if you are actively working on it.

Otherwise looks good.

P.S. What would Cisco be called in Bedrock? Cisrock? Rockco? CisSlate? CisStone?
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, this weekend I really need to bring my resume into the 21st century....

Looks good.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
    LinuxRacr wrote: »

Looks good.

Hey, just because you wrote it in edlin doesn't mean it's not current :p
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Hey, just because you wrote it in edlin doesn't mean it's not current :p

Yeah, I have some reformatting to do after importing from Apple Writer. :D
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LinuxRacr wrote: »

My resume definitely needs some updating (it was written in Word 2003...). The format and skillsets no longer conform with what I do anymore, it's just a "hot mess" of all the stuff I ever touched since 1997. I do need two have two types though: a regular systems admin resume and a PeopleSoft admin resume. That's definitely going to be a project.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have 3 resumes one strictly for call center/helpdesk and one for desktop support type jobs. The differences aren't big but I've been getting more bites since doing it this way. The third (public) one on the job boards is kind of the 2 combined. I'm on so many job boards now that I haven't even really kept track of all the passwords.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A couple quick suggestions from me:

Drop the[FONT=&quot] "CCNA certification in progress"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Move your BS higher up (maybe in between highlights and summary?)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Shorten it to 2 solid pages
    [/FONT]
    I have to admit, ccna is there to make it through keyword searches. icon_redface.gif I actually do have it down to two pages though had to switch to a 9.5 font to do it. Will have to see if I can go back to 10 if I steal a bit of white space. Will post updated resume r bold-o-rama soon.
    OK, here is the update...is the bolding annoying? This is what I have on dice now...figured for an initial glance, some bolding might help. Yay or nay? Thank you all so much!
    The bolding is all over the place, I think. For example, you have OSPF and BGP routing in bold, but not VLAN configuration. What if I cared more about VLAN configuration or regular IOS updates more than OSPF routing (especially since folks may be going toward EIGRP).

Bolding is definitely nice, but you may want to use some consistency of your bolding in your resume. I don't see it and I definitely want to. It justs looks like you're bolding just to bold.

Aside from that, looks nice, though personally, I miss the blue coloring. :) But your PDF maker probably stripped that.
    Weird...I see blue (supposed to be gray but a very blue-gray) on the pdf. Hmmmmm. It's hard to know what to bold if you want to get someone's attention. lol I guess I could bold it all?
    You know it's funny. I had thought that the bars where you have the titles of your sectons were in a blue color instead of grey. (I opened up your first one that was in Word again.) I am probably thinking of someone elses, but I thought it was yours. "My bad" about that.

Bolding it all? No. Having some sort of pattern? Yes. The products that you bolded, I imagine, was done because you think they are hotter than the ones you didn't. But you didn't bold: IBM RealSecure, IBM Proventia, and ArcSight ESM Manager and Database.

Maybe there are IBM shops out there that use those products (as I'm sure you know there are a bunch of AIX shops...my PeopleSoft application is on a number of those.)

But my main theme for this is consistency. Your resume is well written and organized, no question about that, but if you were able to look over your resume and use bolding in a way where it would match how well written and oragnized your resume is, it would be that much better for you. :)
    I hated Proventia and Realsecure with the passion of at least one burning sun. :) Especially Realsecure! I will work on it though...thank you for the compliment! It still feels a long way from perfect but hopefully will land me a job at least in the next 6 months before unemployment finally runs out.