Options

Issue with Router/modem

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
As seen in a previous thread http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/57340-karma.html I had some problems this past weekend.
Now my wifes comp may need a NIC but I'm not sure.
Here's where it stands now: I have a all in one modem-wireless router combo hooked up. All comps but my wifes are back up on the internet. The routers DHCP has "seen" my wifes comp and assigned it an address. The issue seems to be that the comp hasn't "accepted" the address as it still has an APIPA when I do ipconfig. I have tried pinging the router from this comp-failed and it also failed loopback ping.
Does it sound like the NIC is bad?
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It does sound like a possible bad NIC. You could try a linux live cd to make sure it's not a Windows problem. It could also an issue the Ethernet cable.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    im assuming you restarted the computer.

Try 'netsh winsock reset' at the command line (without the quotes) and reboot.
  • Options
    Neither worked.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    earweed wrote: »
    I have tried pinging the router from this comp-failed and it also failed loopback ping.
    Does it sound like the NIC is bad?
    If it failed loopback ping, I would consider reinstalling TCP/IP, and if that doesnt solve it, you could try using a USB ethernet adapter to see if the NIC is bad.

Newegg.com - TRENDnet TU-ET100C 10/ 20/ 100/ 200Mbps USB to Ethernet Adapter 1 x RJ45
  • Options
    Did it a better way. I had a USB wireless and hooked it up. It works so I've already ordered a new NIC.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should have ordered two. NICs are like $5 and its never bad to have a few extra laying around.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Actually ordered 3. I usually have an extra but had to use one on a clients comp.
  • Options
    call ur isp
    Not necessary. I got the problem solved until I get the new nic and then I'll get it fixed permanently. I've dealt with the ISP before and it's basically someone reading from a script. I shouldn't really say anything bad about that as I'm going to my ISP's call center saturday to take a test to work at the call center. Hopefully if nothing else comes up in the interim I'll be working there.