LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
Intel Newsroom: News Stories: Intel to Acquire McAfee

For any that might be interested.
CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
Microsoft: MCSA 2003

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I hope there is 7.679999999 billion dollars hiding in the McAfee offices somewhere, otherwise Intel just got taken.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I saw this in the paper last week, it makes me scratch my head. Why would Intel want McAfee? Even if McAfee had an awesome program, I don't see how Intel expects to benefit from this.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Conspiracy theory:

They will begin building uber viruses that target only AMD based machines and only their software can clean easily.
  • Options
    kinggeorge1987kinggeorge1987 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lol. Now thats a conspiracy theory. Who should we tell first ? Big foot or the tooth fairy ?
    Certification Goals

CompTIA A+ 701 & 702 - by December
    CompTIA Network+ - by Feb 2011
    CompTIA Server + - by May 2011 (At the latest)

Currently Studying
    Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to A+ (60%)
    Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to Network+(60%)
    Network+ Guide to Networks Fifth Edition - Tamara Dean(2%)
    The Complete Guide to Servers and Server+ - Micheal Graves(2%)
    TestOut Labsim - Network +
    TestOut Labsim - Server+
  • Options
    In all seriousness I was very underwhelmed when I heard this news. The guy from Intel went on quite a bit about the integrations of security into the hardware itself. So, perhaps there is something to this, but I just don't know.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lol. Now thats a conspiracy theory. Who should we tell first ? Big foot or the tooth fairy ?

I'm sure that CNN and all the big new corps will have that under control... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    In all seriousness I was very underwhelmed when I heard this news. The guy from Intel went on quite a bit about the integrations of security into the hardware itself. So, perhaps there is something to this, but I just don't know.

McAfee's junk would have to be worth something as software, first. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    McAfee's junk would have to be worth something as software, first. icon_lol.gif

really... epo isnt bad, unless its poorly configured or the folks running it are clowns. still, the av is dreadful. i find a virus, i break out avast/avg/clamwin/avira. we went from sophos with looooow % of infections to crapafee and deal with some type of prob at least once a week.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    sidsanders wrote: »
    really... epo isnt bad, unless its poorly configured or the folks running it are clowns. still, the av is dreadful. i find a virus, i break out avast/avg/clamwin/avira. we went from sophos with looooow % of infections to crapafee and deal with some type of prob at least once a week.

We just bought tech licenses for MBAM. Nothing like MBAM for virus removal purposes icon_wink.gif I honestly can't wait for us to move to Win7. I suspect that will reduce a number of our virus issues.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We just bought tech licenses for MBAM. Nothing like MBAM for virus removal purposes icon_wink.gif I honestly can't wait for us to move to Win7. I suspect that will reduce a number of our virus issues.

I love MBAM. fixes 99% of problems that mcafee and symantec can't.
    Which coincidentally is 99% of all problems.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is probably an attempt by Intel to try and combat the growing concern for hardware virus issues that reek havok outside of the OS. Either way, I can't say I'm a huge fan of it, I agree with the guy who made the comment about money being hidding away at the McAfee HQ. McAfee as a whole just isn't worth that much IMO, hopefully Intel can improve the quality of the software.

I'm just shocked of the amount of PC's that come into the shop with huge virus problems (I mean common stuff too) that just sneaked past updated McAfee security suites without any problem. I'll take a free AVG, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, Avast! combination any day of the week to protect my PC over McAfee.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options

Love MBAM. It always identifies viruses even if it cant get rid of them, in which case I can always boot into WinPE and delete them manually.

If you keep UAC on, you will notice your virus issues basically disappear with Windows 7.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you keep UAC on, you will notice your virus issues basically disappear with Windows 7.
    How about with Vista? Does UAC work as well for it?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, your problem was you were using Vista, icon_razz.gif.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    Well, your problem was you were using Vista, icon_razz.gif.
    I still use it cause I'm a rebel...
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    How about with Vista? Does UAC work as well for it?

Yes. The only real changes in UAC from Vista to 7, were that they removed it from popping up in certain scenarios (in 7 administrative tools do not trigger UAC, they do in Vista) and they also added that cute little slider in control panel to modify the UAC settings in 7.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    earweed wrote: »
    I still use it cause I'm a rebel...
    Ehh. Vista worked fine for me. I never had any trouble with it.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Just be thankful that Intel didn't buy Symantec aka Norton Antivirus :P Although I've heard that the later versions aren't actually as much of a bloated resource hog like they were before...
  • Options

That an IE8 in Win7 is sand-boxed vs. XP where it's not.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Ehh. Vista worked fine for me. I never had any trouble with it.
    I still use it and will continue to use it for a while still.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Just be thankful that Intel didn't buy Symantec aka Norton Antivirus :P Although I've heard that the later versions aren't actually as much of a bloated resource hog like they were before...
    It still is a resource hog but maybe not as bad as before.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you referring to their consumer or enterprise product?
  • Options
    I know their consumer product is. I used to use it until recently. I don't know about the enterprise product. The consumer product blows. I could do nothing for 2 days except leave my computer on and it'll still scan and find "threats" and remove them. It also slows down startups a lot if it's set to autostart which an antivirus should be.
  • Options
    TheMechanicTheMechanic Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    symantec enterprise = great, norton/mcafee = trash. Endpoint protection is a solid product. earweed say NO to vista ncool.gif
    Needs 100K
  • Options
    Symantec endpoint...solid?

Its possibly the worst antivirus application I have ever worked with. Bot in terms of reliability and actually catching infections.
  • Options
    That an IE8 in Win7 is sand-boxed vs. XP where it's not.

I no longer even use AV with Win7. I might install MSSE but I doubt that I will even bother with that.
  • Options
    I no longer even use AV with Win7. I might install MSSE but I doubt that I will even bother with that.

I wouldn't be as likely to if my wife wasn't using it. She is more prone to clicking banners and stuff. She doesn't grasp the dangers in just clicking stuff randomly.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    She is more prone to clicking banners and stuff. She doesn't grasp the dangers in just clicking stuff randomly.

Most people don't. OMG my computer has a virus! I better click this link quick without thinking about it so it gets fixed!!!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    My cousin got a virus and immediately got one of those "free" virus scanners. It took longer to remove the scanner than the virus.